Another Power window problem

SevyDuce

Reaction score
City, State
Walnut Creek, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Sport
1993 Explorer 2Door, manual, power windows/doors:

The passenger side window just stopped working one day. No motor spinning indicating bushing wear (like my driver side window). The switches seem to work because I get a slight dip in the voltage meter on the dash when I press the button on the driver's and passenger's side switches. Also checked fuses under the hood - I believe those are the only ones that are for the windows.

I have done some research here and I'm not sure if it's a bad motor or bad regulator. Motor removal/install guides I've seen, but I haven't seen anything on the regulator.

Could it be anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you've got it covered pretty well. Regulator could be jammed, broken, or motor could be at fault, still drawing current, but not turning properly; motor could also be jammed, broken, etc.

Has the fuse ever blown? imp

Sometimes those plastic balls inside the gears on the motor fall apart and one of the chunks jams the motor. One way or another you're going to have to take it apart and see. Once you remove the motor it should be obvious if the motor runs or not and if the window can be moved around.

Ok, I think I'll take a stab at it tomorrow. Quick question: once I remove the motor, how do I get the window up? It's attached to the regulator, correct? I just don't want to get my hand caught in that thing.

I did some work on this last week. Window stuck up again... I took a strip of sheet metal and worked it up between the window and the rubber seals, both sides, all the way in, end to end. It did not free the window. I see my other thread has activity, I'll post a summary there.

Back