Another quest …. | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another quest ….

Not sure of gas milage because I never really cared enough to check.Although it seems the same and I dont really spend that much time idleing. as for the A/F ratio I have no idea as the only car that sees dyno time is my GTO. It makes my explorer seem like a hybrid with 4MPG

100_05185.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is exactly what I was suggesting earlier--
I would think considering the minimal time the engine is idling--the difference in fuel economy would be hardly noticable.

True, unless adjusting too rich at idle transfers to too rich across the entire operating range.

How about your EVR..to go with the EGR and DPFE

Another positive step in attaining smothers.

I remember reading that Kevin ( Monmix ) eliminated the hose from the valve cover to the Mac intake tube and installed a breather on the valve cover and plugged the opening in the Mac.

Well, I decided to give it a go to see how it might affect the idle. Further, when swapping throttle bodies recently, I couldn't help but notice the oily residue. By eliminating the tube to the intake tube, this should eliminate the oily mess.

After making the mod and starting the truck, I did notice a smoother idle; not perfect, but better than before.

I've done this before as well. However, you probably skewed the A/F ratio just a little. Not enough to worry about but it had to off. I'm pretty sure that not only does the airbreather let the air out of the filter but can actually suck some as well. This is where the A/F ratio is being skewed. The proper way of doing this would be to also have a filter on the PVC valve. There's an article on supersixmotor sports about this.

Jakee

I've done this before as well. However, you probably skewed the A/F ratio just a little. Not enough to worry about but it had to off. I'm pretty sure that not only does the airbreather let the air out of the filter but can actually suck some as well. This is where the A/F ratio is being skewed. The proper way of doing this would be to also have a filter on the PVC valve. There's an article on supersixmotor sports about this.

Jakee

But, don't do it. It stinks!

After using the new throttle body in town driving for several weeks, I can say it did imp4rove the idle. However, it is still not as smooth as I want.

Any more input from you guys?

Thanks ....

After using the new throttle body in town driving for several weeks, I can say it did imp4rove the idle. However, it is still not as smooth as I want.

Any more input from you guys?

Thanks ....

Have your injectors cleaned by fredness.

No thanks.

I don't know what else you can do then? I mean you've pretty much did everything I can think of. I know you've cleaned the injectors but I've read in many places that just dumping in solvent won't do the job that pulling them out an pressuring them up will do. And I've had this done and saw a good difference, even after 99 bottles of cleaner.

Aldive - You could test something. You could plug the PVC valve ports (Two on the upper intake) and have the pvc valve just vent into the open air to see if that helps the idle. That might tell you something, like how much blow by you have at this point.

Aldive - You could test something. You could plug the PVC valve ports (Two on the upper intake) and have the pvc valve just vent into the open air to see if that helps the idle. That might tell you something, like how much blow by you have at this point.

I have a filter on the PCV line; blowby is not an issue.

or you can swap in a 4wd drive engine with a balance shaft.

I would like to see a video of how "Rough" this idle is before I say anything else.

I would like to see a video of how "Rough" this idle is before I say anything else.

Don't hold your breath :)

The idle by most people's standards is fine; just not to me.

Don't hold your breath :)

The idle by most people's standards is fine; just not to me.

That's what I was thinking. Not to say there's anything wrong with having high standards.

It definitely improved the idle, but did not solve the problem.

Was wondering if your rough idle is fixed, I may have missed it while reading through this thread. I fixed mine by changing the worn out O-rings in the intake manifold. At the same time I was doing the front timing chain tensioners, and also slightly advanced my cam timing... between those three being the only change over that weekend, it went from low rough idle to a perfectly smooth idle where you can't feel it running at ALL. I have to glance at the tachometer frequently to see if its still running.

Was wondering if your rough idle is fixed, I may have missed it while reading through this thread. I fixed mine by changing the worn out O-rings in the intake manifold. At the same time I was doing the front timing chain tensioners, and also slightly advanced my cam timing... between those three being the only change over that weekend, it went from low rough idle to a perfectly smooth idle where you can't feel it running at ALL. I have to glance at the tachometer frequently to see if its still running.

Now there's a thought. Maybe it is the o-rings, as you've done just about everything else?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now there's a thought. Maybe it is the o-rings, as you've done just about everything else?

In my case I had done everything I could think of and some things twice just in case... I kept avoiding the intake thing because I thought it was a big deal. After doing the timing chain tensioner- the intake o-rings are cake. Also I degreed my cams 2 degrees advanced in hopes of more torque, smoother idle, and less pedal effort to maintain highway speeds. I'm not taking it to the race track or towing much but I like to get the most out of what I'm using.

The biggest problem out of the whole cam ordeal was finding the tool for holding the cams in place. It turns out that one of my flight students owns an auto repair shop and he loaned me the tool for nothing.

Back