Another SAS in progress *pics* | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another SAS in progress *pics*

I finally had the time to do the swap.

-HP D44
-5.13 and No-Spin detroit
-1.25 x .25 wall DOM, 3/4" heim joints.
-EB adjustable track bar.
-Wildhorses 5.5 coils
-big bronco upper coil buckets, cut and reinforced.
-big bronco RA and stock bracket.

Day 1: after 3 hours, we finished taking the TTB front end off.
2199project009.jpg

end of day 1.
2199project013.jpg

Day 2 and 3: this is where I wished I got the front end put together before taking everything out. I had about 6 spindle studs missing. Nobody in town had them and finally decided with a grade 8 bolt from ACE.

who tried to put the bearings in backwards?:eek:
2199project012.jpg

2199project-015.jpg

done, minus the calipers and brake lines.
2199project018.jpg

old tires, mounted and balanced on new 15x8 rims.
2199project_020.jpg

Day 4 and 5:
-got the front end under the explorer.
-worked on the transmission cross-member, it was on the way of the RA bracket.
-radius arms and brackets hooked up.

2199project_022.jpg

I had to cut the cross-member and weld it with the RA bracket. This is temporary and hopefully soon I can build a modified one with tubes.
2199project031.jpg

Day 6 and 7:
-I had to cut and reinforce the fullsize upper coil bucket and did the tie rod.
-got the coils and track bar installed also.

track bar drop bracket and coil bucket welded in place.
2199p1010069.jpg

2199p1010073.jpg

this is the unpainted coil bucket. You can see the booger welds from the previous day.
2199p1010075.jpg

newbie welder... getting better?
2199p1010076.jpg

end of day 7...
2199p1010080.jpg

Things that still needs to be done...
-TRE's
-calipers and brakelines.
-shock towers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I need to fab some up too. Maybe with tax returns.
I also want to fab up a bumper. All I need is some metal and a welder!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Rick
Hey Daemon, I was just looking at your photos again. You better fab up some rock sliders before taking her out. It seems that there is a curse among Explorer owners. The rockers panels never get damaged until just before they sliders go on :D

Rick, I started on my sliders but now I'm at school. I'm using 2x4 3/16".

Looks good! Any progress reports? Ya know you could wheel it with some 32 or 33s on the back with the bad gear ratio LOL.
Can't wait to wheel mine either!!!! We'll have 2 fresh SAS's in AZ for the run hopefully end of March.

I think he is in class right now. Cross training. We probably won't hear from him for a while. I have a feeling he wont be going to the AZ run either.

*update*

I started working on the explorer again this week. I built the driver side slider with a 2x4 and 3 2x2 supports. Then, I gave up on it and started on a rear bumper :D . I'll get some pics up of the bumper and slider on the bumper/slider forum.

The axle shafts (dutchman) for the 9" came in friday :bounce: and now waiting for the disk brakes to come in. Hopefully this will be soon because I'll be leaving for school again sometime this coming week or next.

Are those the perry's fenders?

Yes those fenders are by Perry's.

Damn dude, you better be coming back to Tucson, so we can go wheeling.

I hope to wheel it before I go back to school. My BOP is DM and Nellis AFB would be next on my dreamsheet.

-=Daemon=-, If you need help getting the rear end back together, let me know, otherwise, I may be able to break free one day and go wheeling for a couple hours. :burnout:
Have you posted pics of your bumper yet? I want to build one real bad. I may just go and take the class at the hobby shop so I can use thier welder. I so bad want to get the spare tire off of the roof. I have plans in my head on how I am going to build my tire mount bumper. I may even cut one of my old axles to use as the wheel mount.

talk to ya later,

ANdy

I'll give you a call.

I took some pics of the bumper today but can't upload it on the site. I'll send it to you thru e-mail.

The hobby shop is not having any classes right now, no instructors. It's a tight fit in the welding room also because someone's building a buggy in there.

Back