Any ideas what is wrong with my door lock? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any ideas what is wrong with my door lock?

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport
Hi, any help would be very appreciated!
Here is the problem, about 3 months ago my door lock stopped opening with the remote. It still responds to the remote, but it sort of snaps up partially but stays locked. I also cannot get the door to open with the key, there is too much resistance and I think I'd break the key before getting the lock up. So, I open the passenger door, reach through, and pull the latch on the driver door to get the lock to pop. Now, however, the inside latch is getting very tight and is difficult to pull. It feels like I am about to break something in the door because of the force required to get the lock up. For what it's worth, the door locks just fine when I get out and use the remote to lock it. Any ideas what is wrong? I plan to get the door open and try to fix it, but any insight as to what is wrong before I start taking it apart would be of great help!

thanks a lot

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think i know what is happening. I am actually in the same predicament as you. If you open the door and look inside the lock area on the actual door (not the frame) you should see a wire that is hanging loose. It is a very small, thin gage wire. As the lock mechanism moves up when you try to unlock it, it is hitting another metal plate/bar. Therefore, it can't move up to unlock. The reason for the wire is to hold the lock mechanism off of the metal plate/bar that it is hitting. The small wire is supposed to be hooked to the lock mechanism so that it doesn't hit the other metal plate/bar. It appears that the wire that is supposed to hook to the lock mechanism has broken near the end of the wire where there should be a loop of metal so that it can hook around the lock mechanism to keep it from hitting the plate/bar. I know this is very hard to understand (because it is hard to describe). Just open your door, get a flashlight, and work the power lock button and you will see what i mean. I am going to take a closer look in the next couple of days to see if I can fix mine. Let me know if you figure anything out.

Beyond that, the lock cylinder may be locking up. I had both of them on my Mark VII freeze. The right side could not be locked, by anything. The right side would barely move.
Good luck,
Don

Back