Anybody with exhaust on the 3.5L non-ecoboost... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anybody with exhaust on the 3.5L non-ecoboost...

Dieslnevan2009

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer LTD
Looking for some info/advice/direction in the way of the an exhaust kit for the 3.5L non-ecoboost. So far I see its only CGS and magnaflow that makes a kit for them. Little more sound would be nice, but mostly to upgrade the looks of the factory mufflers/tips. Read some of the threads on here about the magnaflow kit creating an annoying drone, most likely due to the shorter resonator that comes with the kit, whereas the CGS kit uses the factory resonator. Thoughts so far is to buy the magnaflow kit due to being 200 bucks cheaper and modify the pipe to reuse the factory resonator.

Any input is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the magnaflow and have no drone. Love it!!!!

CAI with MagnaFlow.

No drone, more sound out of the CAI at WOT heard inside.
8-D

CAI with MagnaFlow.

No drone, more sound out of the CAI at WOT heard inside.
8-D

Good to hear, kind of a V8/Diesel guy, and really don't want my Explorer to sound like civic with a coffee can on. Wouldn't mind a little more sound, but biggest thing for me is to upgrade the looks of the mufflers/tips out the back and the Magnaflow looks really sharp.

Just installed mine today and love it! I also have a CAI so im eager to see how it sounds!

10301376193_5c9f6a2313_c.jpg

Loud exhaust with a 'automatic' sucks. You can't make it a performance car, just a loud slow suv. I have performance cars, I'll leave the noise there. :D

Just changed the tips on mine, painted the pipes black so you don't see them from behind.

Xgotnomoregirlielook.jpg

Xgotnew4inchstainlesstips.jpg

X2-1.jpg

Yeah I'm not to worried about performance asepct of upgrading the exhaust. Just a little more sound plus the better looks of the double walled stainless mufflers. Those kits do look really good installed.

Cant find anything online in terms of videos, just reviews but what I want to know is if it's worth it?

Cant find anything online in terms of videos, just reviews but what I want to know is if it's worth it?
I've merged your thread with this one in hopes that someone will post a reply to your question. Good luck.

Peter

I have considered upgrading my exhaust with the Magnaflow because I want 'true duals'. So, far, I've added a Livernois 93 tune and a K&N CAI and because of the poor design of the K&N system, I manufactured a 'cold box' to get it closer to CAI. I also did this because I feel the sound it makes at open or wide open throttle is obnoxious. Somebody said they didn't want the 'fart can' sound but, I feel the K&N system alone does this. With the cold box, it has changed the sound to a more mellow noise. Now, as far as the exhaust, I'm also not looking for a loud sound and I"m not sure what to expect about that myself. It's a SUV, as someone said but, even at that, it's nice to have a little more punch out this little bitty engine. The Ex moves out pretty well now.:thumbsup:

Just to add, I did send K&N an email about my disappointment in their design for the 3.5L N/A Ex and what I did to improve it. However, I don't expect they'll take me up on my suggestion on how it could be changed or about adding a cold air box to the mix. We'll see. :hammer:

Back