Intake for 3.5L non EcoBoost - Coming soon! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Intake for 3.5L non EcoBoost - Coming soon!

Come on Sarge - MAKE a sheild :) a bit of aluminum and a few cuts :)

then we can buy one from you !

I wonder if the K&N one would be close enough to copy?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your right its loud at WOT but not bad in the lower RPM range. Noticeable power increase at WOT but minimal in low end, wish it was the other way around. Installed mine last night, went black for the more OEM look.

IMG_3077.jpg

Looks good in black. The noise I don't like is at slow speeds like on 30 or 35 mph roads and giving a little throttle but not enough to make it down shift it makes a loud roar. Other than that, going through the gears sounds good.:thumbsup:

Looks you removed the bottom part of the stock airbox too from the pic.

Looks good in black. The noise I don't like is at slow speeds like on 30 or 35 mph roads and giving a little throttle but not enough to make it down shift it makes a loud roar. Other than that, going through the gears sounds good.:thumbsup:

Looks you removed the bottom part of the stock airbox too from the pic.

Yes, it just pops out of the rubber grommets below......figured it would be better for airflow but who knows. I also cut out the inset plastic part of the grill where the OEM scoop lets in air.

I removed the lower half of the air box and it helped quiet down my low speed roar :thumbsup: The box must have been acting like a megaphone. I like it much better now.;)

The drone noise was bugging me and it feels like it lacks power at low RPM's.

So I emailed INJEN and they asked for audio/video.

Now they want me to see if power is better with stock air box so I put it back on.

We will see tomorrow when I send them stock air box audio/video

Put stock Airbox back on and the 2000-3000 RPM range acceleration is vastly improved.

Advised Injen I will assist in developing the product further or send it back.

Having the same symptoms, will probably follow your lead.;)

Contact INJEN at info@injen.com

Let them know your having same issues

Brian is the guy Im dealing with

Thanks Sgt. :thumbsup: What name does Brian know you by, so I can refer to the same problem.

Just a heads up for anyone considering this INJEN system for their non-EcoBoost Explorer.

DONT DO IT

It does not produce any more power and it actually looses power in the lower RPM range.

I put the stock airbox back on and performance is much better.

Tried to get INJEN or AutoAnything to exchange or refund and they wont do it claiming 30 days is all you have for refunds.

I'll second that, got a polished one up for grabs cheap if anyone is interested. I do like the way it looks installed though.;)

kind of an aside, did you guys notice better fuel milage while you had the intakes installed?

Worse

Mine went from 18.7 average to 18.4, which was because I had my foot in it alot more than usual :D My problem mostly is the wife hated it :thumbdwn:

I think the INJEN design and engineering was poor because it was rushed to market.

When I sent them video of how the vehicle performed and audio to hear the drone at lower RPM the engineering staff response was to just send it back.

It was AutoAnything that wouldn't take it back after 30 days.

I have a BBB complaint filed now.

Back