Anyone else heard of this?-SOHC fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone else heard of this?-SOHC fix

Pack

Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 FX4 Level II
I brought my 2000 SOHC in to have some things fixed under warrenty, one thing being a rattling sound from the engine that happens once it hits 2500 rpms. I did a search and found that it is probably the bulletin number 00M12 fix for the camshaft tensioners as well as the lower intake manifold o-rings. The dealer called back and said that I need to wait for the "new codes" coming out on April 15 that will be a permenant fix to the rattling problem. I asked about service bulletin 00M12, thinking that he was trying to pull a fast one. He said that the current fix does not really fix the problem. This really doesn't make much sense to me, so I thought I would throw it out there to see if it makes sense to any of you.

I am going over to the dealer to talk to the service manager now, just to double check the story.

BTW- they were able to fix the defroster and dome light, in only 6 hours.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it's the tensioners (which I'm not so sure it is... the tensioners usually make noise all the time) the standard fix should take care of it. I don't know of anyone having the problem reoccur after the fix, myself included. Sounds kind of fishy to me... Just make sure you get in writing why they did not fix it now.

-Joe-

The SOHC engines were supposed to be "fixed" from the factory after the '98 model year I believe, so I don't think the 2000 engine is not included in the 00M12 program. And you have a SOHC in an XLS? How'd you manage that?

This is an update to previous post about the "new fix" to the SOHC. I went to the dealer to talk to the service manager and he told me that my explorer was not under the current "program", which is their way of saying recall I guess. He then told me that on April 15, there will be a new fix to the SOHC in my 2000. He said that the old fix involved replacing 2 parts to fix the tensioner, and that the new fix will involve replacing 7 parts. Since it will all be covered for free, I didn't feel any need to question him further. I made an appointment for April 15 and will post what happened with the fix after I get it back.

TPLYNCH - I had to look around a little bit to find a used XLS with a SOHC in it, and when I did I snagged it.

TYPLYNCH, the new tensioners did not come out till model year 2000. This explains why Pack's vehicle does not fall under 00M12 or 01M01.

rattle

hey, im not sure if im having the same problem or not, but when i get up to somewhere around 3000rpms, u can sort of hear a slight rattle in the engine. Is that what ur talking about. Mines a 99 Sohc.

After reading your post.....

I had to think a moment. I have the exact same sound that I always related to engine detonation (pinging). It happens around 2500-3000 rpm. Usually around 1/4 throttle (normal driving) if I let off the throttle slightly it disappears if I give it more throttle it disappears. No matter what octane run it is always there and driving me nuts. I had mine to the dealer and was told it was the ethanol in the gas that causes this. Since then I have put in t KKM kit a superchips chip and a flowmaster always run high octane and it STILL pings or chatters. Does my discription of the symptoms sound like your problem? If so PLEASE let me know what they did to fix yours.

2001 Explorer sport SOHC

Try cleaning your MAS. If the filaments are dirty, pinging is the result.....

Our '02 Explorer doesn't have it, but my '02 FX4 exhibits the slight rattle between 2500-3000rpms. I don't have any engine mods except an exhaust, and I am running 89. I know its not detonation, must be that damn chain! Thought they were fixed.

--Sean

Same thing on my '98 sport, and I had the 00M12, 01M01 done.

If you find out anything I'd be interested to know

Thanks
Tonedog

Yup, My 97 Sport does the same thing at 3,000 RPM. Rattling noise under light load, no rattling noise under no-load, heavy load condition. Anything under or above 3,000 RPM is quiet. Guess I'll have to inquire with our warranty manager to see if he has anything on the issue.

My dealer experience with this problem

I first went to the dealer with this rattling/pinging noise over a year ago. They said the vehicle wasn't showing any codes. I even took the service manager for a ride in the car and he let him hear the noise. He told me that it was ethanol in the gas that made the Explorer ping, and it was normal. I wasn't so cool with that but got his word that if engine damage occured he would take care of me. Truth is if any of my classics made noise like that I would be along the road side turning the distributor. If any of you have any luck please post what TSB they addressed so the rest of us have something to present to the dealership.

Thanks Eric

It's Fixed

I got the truck back a few days ago...it took the dealer 4 days to fix it, mainly because the parts were not in. The "new" fix was released on 04-15-02. I had mine done on 04-17-02. There is a new TSB for the problem, and I will post the number of it when I get home tonight. The fix worked great, and the truck is running very smooth and quiet.

I have a 98 sport and I think it has both problems. At idle it makes that "diesel" sound for about 5 min. after startup, then goes away(sometimes it seems like it doesn't go away). Also at about 2200 to 3000 it makes that rattle noise. I have only noticed it during acceleration. I am starting to worry though, beacuse both of these noises are starting to get louder. I'm also not under any warranty. Does anyone know if they will fix it free of charge? I know some of you have had this fixed. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

pinging versus cam tensioner noise

I have a '99 OHC (auto) which has had the camshaft tensioners replaced twice (at 3000 miles and again at 51000 miles, on extended warranty), along with the intake manifold gasket once (at 51000 miles also), and the problem is still there. My rattles sound JUST like pre-ignition knock in that they are considerably worse going uphill under a load. They go away for a short while when the transmission upshifts but return at the rpm indicated by the original submitter. They also get better if the gas pedal is backed off (even if 2500 rpm or above). They do seem slightly better with premium gas, which should not affect cam chain tensioners. I had assumed that the EEPROM was just programmed too far in advanced timing to raise the mpg on the EPA mileage circuit in LA. This problem is getting worse. Some have indicated the MAF is dirty. Any suggestions? THX!!!

New TSB

The new TSB for the rattling noise is 02/7/6, at least that is what it says on my copy of the work order. It states:

"Diagnose engine noise as internal primary timing chain rattle. Replace primary timing chain tensioner, chain and guides as per ford bulletin #02/7/6. Refill all engine fluids to proper level. Reset engine timing. Road test-OK."

Like I stated earlier, this fix was just released on 04/15/02, according to the service manager at the dealer. The truck is very quiet now. Hope this helps.

I have a 98 SOHC XLT. I had both the cam belt tensioner and the timing belt tensioner replaced before all of the rattling stopped. It took about 5 trips to the dealer but that was a year ago and I have not heard the problem since. Before that it sounded like a diesel truck at some engine speeds. My truck had about 30K on it at the time.

Mike

TSB 01M01

Thanks for the info! My '97 SOHC "pings/rattles" very bad when getting on it. It is not a detenation ping, it sounds more like the timing chain. So, I just called my service manager today and he said there is a fairly new TSB. It is #01m01 - front cam chain guide extended coverage. It is different from the cam tensioners. It covers up to 100,000 miles and should take care of the high rmp rattle. Lets hope so.
Ford sure has a lot of "recalls", but at least they pay for them.
I will let everyone know if it works. I am taking it in next Sat.

Back