Anyone have a 70MM (or 75MM )Throttle Body to sell that is already setup to work on my 2000 Limited 5.0L - do not want to lose cruise control | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone have a 70MM (or 75MM )Throttle Body to sell that is already setup to work on my 2000 Limited 5.0L - do not want to lose cruise control

my bad, i posted both links to the throttle body arm i did. here is for the elbow

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my bad, i posted both links to the throttle body arm i did. here is for the elbow

Hi again. Do you feel that making this elbow would make a big difference in my application? Do you still have the jig that you used to make this?

Thanks

Some parts will have the highest cost for the power gained. I'd call the elbow one of those, so think of it down the list for cost/hp(similar to TB, MAF, and intake manifold). It's hard to say exactly what's the best to put money into. These Explorers have more restrictions throughout, compared to common 90's Mustangs that all the magazine stories are about. I'd put more effort into the exhaust, heads, and intake for bolt on items. For deeper projects, the camshaft and pistons(compression) would be worth while efforts, if the exhaust/heads/intake were larger first.

Some parts will have the highest cost for the power gained. I'd call the elbow one of those, so think of it down the list for cost/hp(similar to TB, MAF, and intake manifold). It's hard to say exactly what's the best to put money into. These Explorers have more restrictions throughout, compared to common 90's Mustangs that all the magazine stories are about. I'd put more effort into the exhaust, heads, and intake for bolt on items. For deeper projects, the camshaft and pistons(compression) would be worth while efforts, if the exhaust/heads/intake were larger first.
As of right now, I have a 90mm SCT Maf, bigger injectors, MSD Coils and 1" intake spacer that will be installed along with a full tune. Also have the OBX headers and will do a dual muffler 2.5" exhaust with high flow front cats. A couple people said with my supercharger at 6psi boost, the larger throttle body and modified elbow might not be worth the money spent - but others have said different too.....

The Explorer platform is the issue, lots of people have done things which would gain 50-150hp on a Mustang. But on the Explorer the same parts net a whole lot less, the debate would be how much less. I'd guess it's in the range of 60% or maybe 70%, of what is produced in a Mustang. So if the 6psi would net 75hp in a Mustang(87-95), I'd bet more on the 50hp range.

Correcting the horrendous exhaust restriction should improve those numbers. The front drive parts and the 4R70W trans, plus transfer case, those are a built in power loss, more than in a Mustang.

I am guessing 25% is lost in an AWD after the exhaust is fixed.

2-5% is added for auto tranny's

FWD: 10-15% loss;
RWD: 10-18% loss;
AWD: 17-25% loss.

FWD car around 16-17% loss (Flywheel, Clutch, Gearbox, Driveshafts, Wheels)
RWD car around 23% loss (Flywheel, Clutch, Gearbox, Propshaft, Diff, Driveshafts, Wheels)
4WD car around 27%-30% loss (Flywheel, Clutch, Gearbox, Front Diff, Front driveshafts, Propshaft, Rear diff, Rear driveshafts, Wheels)

From Weistec Engineering:
"For a long time, Dynojet has been the industry standard in measuring power at the wheels. Certain patterns became apparent with the Dynojet dynos which led to the common 15% (2WD) and 25% (AWD) drivetrain loss rules. These rules are usually applied to manual transmission vehicles as automatic transmission vehicles are prone to more losses because of torque converters and more complex internal components. The rules, however, are not absolute or 100% accurate. Transmission type, wheel and tire size, driveshaft weight, brake rotors, etc. all influence the drivetrain losses."

What I didn't see mentioned is that a torque converter will double torque.....................more power loss in an auto tranny, but doubling torque at the line? Seems that need to be accounted for when comparing standard to manual transmissions and power output at the wheels.

Those are decent guidelines for general power train losses. From what we've seen in dyno testing of Explorers, I'd say the extra loss in these is closer to 15% versus a 2WD manual trans Mustang. Taking a 350hp Mustang engine and dropping it into an Explorer, I'd predict that might make 300hp.

So take predictions of a mild 6psi Powerdyne 302 engine in a Mustang, and cut 15% off of that. I would put that closer to reality than the Mustang predictions.

Hi again. Do you feel that making this elbow would make a big difference in my application? Do you still have the jig that you used to make this?

Thanks
if you have a larger throttle body then the elbow, or intake those are your bottle neck.
i made that roughly 10 years ago, and its long gone. i do however have the elbow kicking around but it has a small dent in it

So received my elbow from Tim (Thanks Tim!) Now trying to make a final decision on the Throttle Body. Read through Tim's post about how he modified the Mustang Throttle Bottle to work on the explorer and also this thread v-8 70mm Throttle body Install-working out the bugs

Anyone have a 70mm or larger throttle body already modified they want to sell?? If not its deciding between the Accufab 75mm and this one SR Performance Mustang 75mm Throttle Body 41101 (86-93 5.0L) by SR. I've been told that the TPS from a 95 Cobra is also what I need to buy as well for this.

Big price difference between the two and spoken to a couple of people much more experienced than I that swear by the Accufab.

What do you all think?

Thank You

Progress on the throttle body to intake elbow (80mm) that I got from Tim (Thanks Tim)
WhatsApp Image 2021-06-15 at 3.39.17 PM.jpeg

ooooooooooooooooh.......................
did he grind all the jb weld off, and use body filler? if he did, it will all melt off.

ooooooooooooooooh.......................
did he grind all the jb weld off, and use body filler? if he did, it will all melt off.
I'll check and confirm. Thanks

I'll check and confirm. Thanks
Checked - and confirmed the JB weld is intact. Explained what you did and the concerns and was told how it is being prepped should be no issue with the extreme temps expected on the parts. "If" if were to be an issue - it's guaranteed. Done other work before so don't expect any issues. Thanks for bringing that up - I was worried for a sec..

A7E54834-6F50-4549-84F1-E64B7A4874E9.jpeg

Picked up and going to try out the SR Performance 75mm throttle body recommended in this thread. If it turns out to be crap then I’ll get an Accufab. I need to modify the linkage to work with the explorer and will use a 95 Cobra TPS with it.

Hi again everyone. It was recommended to me to get a TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) for a 1995 Mustang Cobra to use with the SR Performance 75MM Throttle Body I bought. I found a couple part numbers but not sure which is correct. Any ideas?

F1SZ9B989AB is one. Something about the Cobra has something different with the voltage it reads. Is there a difference? Which is recommended?

Thanks

063F058A-28F2-4BF2-ABD7-D6AF2C8F27A1.jpeg

Here is the initial on the elbow. I think I’m going to have to weld a nut for the throttle linkage so might have to repaint part of it and I think I want to add something (Ford or something different to dress it up) to the top. But we’ll see how this formulation stands up to the heat. Still trying to figure out the throttle position sensor and if the one from the Mustang cobra 1995 will work.

That looks very good, and I hope the TPS will work too. I made a stock 302 Explorer TPS work in my Fox throttle body, I wasn't thrilled with the amount of time it took to whittle it enough to fit into the TB.

Back