Anyone install remote starter with PATS system? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone install remote starter with PATS system?

gucc

Reaction score
City, State
MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mountaineer
I have a 2000 Mounty and want to install a remote starter. But I've read that it may be trouble some with the PATS keys. Is it possible to do and with what remote systems (brand)? Thanks.

I did. I ended up installing a Bulldog remote start. It was pretty cheap ($100ish) with all the accessories. I needed to use a bypass module that took one of the PATS keys and send the signal to the key column via a ribbon cable. I was able to get the blank keys off of ebay for like $10 and then had them cut at Home Depot. Once cut, you can use the programming feature in the manual (you need two working PATS keys to do it).

The now spare key sits in the bypass module and allows the car to start with the remote. I will say, it was not an exact science and took a few calls to tech support to get it to work. However, it has been working for a couple years now (after I had to replace the brain once). The way the PATS system works you can only have one transponder at the column at once so if you try and start with the remote and with the regular key in the ignition it won't work.

The Bulldog had two install methods - tach or tachless. Tach is where you tap into the tachometer wire and it will crank until it starts. Tachless will crank for a couple of seconds, then wait and crank again if the engine isn't started. I went with the second option after the issues I had installing and just got lazy. Now it starts on the first try about 50% of the time.

Bulldog is low quality compaired to others but on the cheap tip it works.

The Ford dealer-installed systems are made by CodeAlarm. The system will integrate seamlessly with the Ford system WITHOUT bypassing the PATS. It's MUCH more secure than the cheaper systems that use a dummy key to fool the system. With those, you can punch the ignition and start it.... not a good idea if you ask me.

Personally I'll stick with the high-end CodeAlarm systems or the OEM Ford systems.

-Joe

I have the Ford Remote system in my Ex. It was installed by the dealer. It works 100% of the time. I got it as a gift one Christmas. I think it cost $300 installed. (I dont recall.)

Back