Parkbrake handle fix - easy way

Bazz270

Reaction score
City, State
Haifa,Israel
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 2007 XLT
Hi all

So as you all know,new parking brake handles comes with new parking assembly only LOL.

Very expensive piece of junk.so ive decided to produce one exactly the same as the broken plastic one.all the dimensions are taken from google 1:1 scale photos.BUT it can be totally custom..no any dimension restrictions if it works good

DIY handle: sae 1016 4mm sheet metal bend and cut according to original handle shape

parking handle rod needs to be drilled and reassembled from parking mechanism assembly and to be welded to DIY handle (see pics ).for rod re- install needed: m6 bolt and nut(loctited) or rivets or any other conventional clamping style whatever...
20210227_173616.jpg
metal DIY handle to parking handle rod welding pic above (low welding amperage- 80 or 100 Amp max or so OR 5mm DIA handle rod will be totally destroyed by heat)

IMG-20210226-WA0025.jpeg
20210301_082958.jpg
Satin or Camel paint by rust-oleum

Maybe my handle should be a bit shorter cause of big working shoes can touch it a little(it doesnt matter because of strong welding)

Note
All of the operations for illustration and for user/installer/driver responsibility only.

Good job. Why spend the money when you can do it yourself.

looks good. my plastic handle broke years ago, now i just have the metal hook.

Back