Anyone running a SL plus BL at the same time? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone running a SL plus BL at the same time?

Reaction score
City, State
SLP, Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4X4
I did run a search but didn't seem to find a thread about a suspension lift plus body lift on 91 - 94 Explorers.
I have a 5.5" Superlift kit on my '94 Explorer but I would like to add an extra 2".
Before I do that I'd like to hear pros and cons on using a 2" body lift on top of the 5.5" suspension lift

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm running a James Duff 6" lift with a 2" BL on my '90 Ranger. I haven't any pros/cons with it yet.

I'm running a 2" SL with a 3" body lift and it's worked fine for me : ) Body lifts are a nice cheap way to get some lift... not my first choice but is definately an option. On the Performance Accessories BL kit instruction manual it says not to combine SL with BL but it seems like everyone on here does it!

90ranajo and skoobydoobiedew, thank for your input. I'd seent that note in the Performance Accesories site and to be honest with you that's what prompted me to start this thread just to find out from the people that actually uses the accesories if there would be anything to be taken into consideration

Would someone else like to chime in??

My question is why? Are you wanting to fit bigger tires???

Positive Vibes said:
My question is why? Are you wanting to fit bigger tires???
Yes, I'd like to fit 35"s without trimming, unless it;s not recommended to use the BL in conjuntion with this 5.5" SL
Thanks

I ran a 6 inch SL with a 3 inch BL for almost 2 years. It worked fine for me, got me room to clear 35's and worked great.

Carlos Osornio said:
Yes, I'd like to fit 35"s without trimming, unless it;s not recommended to use the BL in conjuntion with this 5.5" SL
Thanks

Many have done it. The only thing I hear them complain about is making brackets for the bumpers. Other than that you should be ok.

I have the 5.5" and 3" kits, the handling sucks, body roll is TERRIBLE, its very top heavy... and it looks great. No problems to report.

I have 3 body 2 suspension. Positive vibes is right about the bumper brackets, they are a pain in the ass (i had to do a little bit of trimming to the bottom of my rear bumber to get them to fit). Also, the steering extention is a pain. But nothing is ever easy when working on a truck. As far as the exposed frame goes, it allowed me to mount tow hooks front a rear sideways, so that they don't effect approach/departure angle (and they looks cool, wart hogish on the front.

DO IT!

Guys, thank you for the input. I'll let you know how this comes up

Decided to stay with the 5.5" SL and 33's for now. May consider adding the 2" body lift and 35's later

Carlos Osornio said:
Decided to stay with the 5.5" SL and 33's for now. May consider adding the 2" body lift and 35's later

I would go with fender triming and 35's. Unless your going strictly for looks.

Besides fitting the 35's I wanted to get a little more clearance for the body. I'm running custom rock sliders and some times I could use more height.

Carlos Osornio said:
Besides fitting the 35's I wanted to get a little more clearance for the body. I'm running custom rock sliders and some times I could use more height.

Understood but now your getting top heavy, in my opionion.

I used to have my spare mounted on the roof. That alone made me a little more top heavy than I cared for. Or maybe it was all in my mind? :D

Spare

Positive Vibes said:
Understood but now your getting top heavy, in my opionion.

I used to have my spare mounted on the roof. That alone made me a little more top heavy than I cared for. Or maybe it was all in my mind? :D

Positive vibes, where are you carrying the spare tire now? in the cargo area or did you get a bumper carrier??

Thks

:exp: :thumbsup:

Carlos Osornio said:
Positive vibes, where are you carrying the spare tire now? in the cargo area or did you get a bumper carrier??

Thks

:exp: :thumbsup:

I got an custom bumper made. The tires is mounted on that.

Positive Vibes said:
I got an custom bumper made. The tires is mounted on that.
Cool, I used to carry mine on the roof rack, now I have it in the cargo area but it's taking up a lot of space. I'm planning to get a custom bumper with a tire carrier on it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back