Anyone think this is a good idea?

NHarris

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gillette, Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
So I know our Ex's aren't the best off roader, but I was thinking...what about making a skid plate like the Jeep Wranglers (TJ model) have.
Its just an idea (maybe someone has done this), but I was thinking its something that'd protect my explorer's underside equipment like the transfer case.
Not sure how to bolt it up to the chassis.
-I think my Ex already has something for the Transfer case, but nothing that would do it any good.

What I am thinking of is something like this. Probably should draft up a set of plans after getting the truck up on the rack.
hd-transfer-case-skid-plate-for-03-06-jeep-wrangler-tj-lj-aluminum.jpg

1003_4wd_10+1999_jeep_wrangler_TJ+teraFlex_belly_up_skidplate.jpg

RH6004.MD.jpg

What are your guys's thoughts on this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless your vehicle see's a lot of rocks, I'd skip it. It's heavy and you'll probably need to remove it every time you do something to whatever it's protecting.

IZwack's got a point. personaly I dont see to many rocks, but if you do i guess this would be usefull. still does make access tougher.

are you worried about dragging a big rock across the bottom of your Explorer?
are you thinking that it could get caught on the crossmember underneath?

if so than this is a decent idea,
it will protect what is behind it,
but there are up sides, and down sides as well,

good,

slides over rocks and such,
protects what's up there,
can be slid on dirt rock sand , anything,

bad,
holds sand , rocks , dirt , on top of itself,
could be tough to remove ,
could be heavy, added weight,,

One thing worth protecting might be the bottom of the fuel tank since it is exposed.

There is an OEM skid plate for that. I might hunt around the junkyard to see if I can find one (I think they came standard on the NBX models).

Otherwise they cost about 350 new.

One thing worth protecting might be the bottom of the fuel tank since it is exposed.

There is an OEM skid plate for that. I might hunt around the junkyard to see if I can find one (I think they came standard on the NBX models).

x11.

With a stock 3rd gen like yours I can't really see this ever be worth it. It would be difficult to get into a situation where you could get onto a big enough rock to do any damage. Or are you somehow getting all crazy in that thing?

It's not about rocks though, soccer cones are pretty much tank height and they're pointy. :D

T1 marine alloy super lite super strong 4 stainless 1/2 bolts Teflon washers with blue lock tyte no worrys mate

are you worried about dragging a big rock across the bottom of your Explorer?
are you thinking that it could get caught on the crossmember underneath?

if so than this is a decent idea,
it will protect what is behind it,
but there are up sides, and down sides as well,

good,

slides over rocks and such,
protects what's up there,
can be slid on dirt rock sand , anything,

bad,
holds sand , rocks , dirt , on top of itself,
could be tough to remove ,
could be heavy, added weight,,
That's what I'm a bit worried about is the dragging on the components. This summer I want to do some off-roading and having a skid plateless explorer it is a bit risky. The added weight will be worth the extra protection, especially if I lift the Ex up.

I agree. I may eventually buy a whole set of skid plates, except for the gas tank. That fuel tank one is expensive and the brackets are about $20.00 a piece. I need to get the ex up on the lift and study it.

x11.

With a stock 3rd gen like yours I can't really see this ever be worth it. It would be difficult to get into a situation where you could get onto a big enough rock to do any damage. Or are you somehow getting all crazy in that thing?
I don't know about some of my driving with this Explorer... :rolleyes: The Ex has a "skid plate" for the transfer case, but it seems a little too wimpy. Anyway I think I will be doing a lift this summer/spring, so this could be worth it. I don't know yet.

It's not about rocks though, soccer cones are pretty much tank height and they're pointy. :D
Did you just say my Ex is a soccer mom's car!?!? :p:
The part I am looking for is later on, but I enjoy this explorer video :D
Joe, I don't intend this in a mean way, I mean it jokingly.

T1 marine alloy super lite super strong 4 stainless 1/2 bolts Teflon washers with blue lock tyte no worrys mate
Thanks! :thumbsup:

You can only fit one dog(g) in that '11 Ex though... :D

You can only fit one dog(g) in that '11 Ex though... :D

Hmm... Good point! :D Looks like I'll have to get something else to fit two.

im a big fan of skid plates.. it sucks smashing your trans, or t-case on a rock and breaking expensive stuff.

if you do a good job, you can build one thats strong, light, and bolts on and off easily.

Good ole fashioned sheet metal (thicker stuff) would be a VERY viable option for this. not extremely heavy, but enough to deflect an impact.

maybe thread it into frame rails with quick disconnect bolts?

Do I look like a soccer mom to you!?

You make a good point Joe Dirt, Soccer cones can be quite sharp.

x11.

i found out you can get into such a situation to day lost 3 gallons of fuel in 20 minutes made a daring drive from nevada border back to salt lake county now it sits empty crushed exhaust and gouged up gas tank its not all that difficult

i found out you can get into such a situation to day lost 3 gallons of fuel in 20 minutes made a daring drive from nevada border back to salt lake county now it sits empty crushed exhaust and gouged up gas tank its not all that difficult

That sucks man...
Makes me want mine in steel vs even the oe nbx's abs plastic skid for the tank...
Also may want something for the exhaust and deep trans pan that I'm getting...

Its kind of disappointing that NOW after someone damages their truck that everyone understands (or will understand) how easy it is to do this.
Sorry to hear about the damage done to your truck mojave. Where were you out at that you hit the tank?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its kind of disappointing that NOW after someone damages their truck that everyone understands (or will understand) how easy it is to do this.

Have you put one on yours yet?

Back