Anyone thought about coilover suspension? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone thought about coilover suspension?

vteckiller2000

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
I think it would make the Explorer handle like a race truck haha! One could get a coilover setup for the Flex and just install stiffer springs for the heavier Explorer.

My quest for the Sport I ordered is to make it match or exceed the Jeep GC SRT8 in handling and acceleration while handily beating its fuel economy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not as easy as just putting on coil over shocks in to out handle other vehicles. Things like spring and damper rates, sway bar sizes, bushings as well as tires all play a critical role in how a vehicle handles. Change one thing and all others must be matched as well.

It's not as easy as just putting on coil over shocks in to out handle other vehicles. Things like spring and damper rates, sway bar sizes, bushings as well as tires all play a critical role in how a vehicle handles. Change one thing and all others must be matched as well.

I know. There are no sway bars available for the taurus/flex/explorer or bushings I am aware of. Coilovers and springs are it and I'll be darned if I am going to throw lowering springs at it, I guarantee it would be worse.

Stiffer dampers and spring rate would enable it to be a bit better in transient plus minimize the squat and dive. Tires are the biggest thing for roadholding, but most cars stock cannot keep the contact patch at optimum which is why aftermarket setups help them. I have the tires covered with the optional Conti summer rubber.

While I'm not a chassis expert, I have several years of auto-x experience and have fully dialed several cars. I did not, however stay in a Holiday Inn Express though...

I was hoping someone would attempt to match the GC SRT8; please let us know how it goes. I may want to copy a few items myself.

Megan coilovers wants somebody to come by in September so they can make the ones that work on the Flex and SHO work on yours. :)

I contacted Megan yesterday and they told me they did not have a coil over option for my 2013 Sport. They didn't mention anything about testing one in September.

I'm working with them, the 2013 Sport and 2013 Flex/SHO is the same suspension (according to all research I've done), that I have confirmed. They won't talk about it yet.
I've been trading emails daily with them. :)

This is a 4500lbs. people/junk hauling, trailer towing vehicle. It's Not a Mustang, that people buy to make faster (it's HEAVY) and a slug, or to make it handle better, get a Mustang.
What a waste of money that a Honda with a fart can drive circles around! :D

Maybe your Limited is slow, but there are a lot of sports that are far from slow...

...that a stock Mustang GT/etc. will blow into the weeds. :D
It's all that weight.

Maybe your Limited is slow, but there are a lot of sports that are far from slow...

...that a stock Mustang GT/etc. will blow into the weeds. :D
It's all that weight.
I blow Mustangs away so easily it's not funny, you are so wrong it's not even funny. Mild mods put these in the 12's, they just started making this platform, there's a few Flex in the 12's and a TON of SHO.
Just take a look at my youtube channel (link is in my sig) to see the carnage I've put on "sports cars" with my Flex. (Flex and Explorer Sport weigh almost the same, just FYI)

My quest for the Sport I ordered is to make it match or exceed the Jeep GC SRT8 in handling and acceleration while handily beating its fuel economy.

This is a pretty lofty goal. Stock for stock there is no real contest - the new SRT will eat the Sport for lunch...and when you start comparing bolt-on's, the new SRT's are already in the 11s. Im not bagging the Sport, but its a completely different animal. Also, I cant speak on behalf of the SRT but our 14' Sport is certainly no fuel saving econobox around town.

I blow Mustangs away so easily it's not funny, you are so wrong it's not even funny. Mild mods put these in the 12's, they just started making this platform, there's a few Flex in the 12's and a TON of SHO.
Just take a look at my youtube channel (link is in my sig) to see the carnage I've put on "sports cars" with my Flex. (Flex and Explorer Sport weigh almost the same, just FYI)

I agree with you Mike, this platform is new and has a ton of potential and its always nice to surprise someone in a big pig like the Sport.

I beat a Stock Jeep SRT8 stock to stock at Firebird with my Flex. Just FYI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVsi1cwCU6g

Wasn't a fluke either, I've seen quite a few SRT8 Jeeps run low 14's here in Phoenix due to the DA and temps.

Tuned vs tune w no other mods it's a slaughter as I pick up .5 or more vs their .2 or .3 (if they're lucky)

DA is really going to hurt any NA setup exponentially more than a FI application; but Id be surprised if the newest gen SRT8 wasnt in the 13's even there in Phoenix.

All the tracks were closed in April, I haven't even seen a new Jeep SRT8 on the road here yet, probably around just not a ton of them. Lots of 2006-2011's though. :)

Back