Anyone with a Ford Service manual? (Blinking airbag light- code 24) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone with a Ford Service manual? (Blinking airbag light- code 24)

kram

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Ranger
I have a Ranger, but since they are so similar to Explorers in some ways I figured I'd ask here. My truck had been sitting out in the rain for most of the day, when I started it this afternoon my airbag light was on. It flashes 2 times, then pauses, then 4 times, so I guess it's code 24? I loked up airbag codes on Google and it seems to be "System Disarm Failure or Internal Diagnostic Monitor Fault " (From a Mustang site) or "Open in Circuit 944B or Low Resistance in Crash Sensor(s)" (From a Probe site)

Neither of them sounds good...I did a search of the forums and read as much as I could find about the airbag light, but I didn't really come to much of a conclusion...

Any suggestions? And anyone with a 98-ish Ford service manual- could you look up code 24? (The truck is a '98)

Thanks very much!

Edit: Oh, the truck has right under 70k on it, if that makes a difference...and since it was out in the rain for a while I wondered if moisture could have gotten in somewhere and confused one of the sensors or something...?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same issue with mine sometimes..Any help would be appreciated.

Hornz: Does yours flash the same code? (24) Does it quit blinking for a few days, and then come back?

Guys, my 00 FSM says code 24 is "ECS defective". ECS is the Electronic Crash Sensor, and it is located near the front of the radiator, according to the picture. It looks like it would be susceptible to moisture in that location.

Thanks, I hope that's all it is. The '99 manual says code 24 is an RCM internal fault, which sounds alot more complicated (and expensive?) The '98 manual also said 24 is ECS related...guess I'll go look in front of the radiator to see if I can find it...I wonder what it looks like?

Back