aproxamate cost to do head gaskets on a 4.0 Ranger? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

aproxamate cost to do head gaskets on a 4.0 Ranger?

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
I am looking at a 1999(?) Ranger 4x4 4.0 supercab for my son. from a friend. He is saying it needs head gaskets. He picked it up cheap and has peplaced the bent rear axle. But with the running problem he is thru with it and wants to get rid of it. I figure it would be good for my 19yo for his first ride or my 25yo for a vehicle till he gets his audi fixed or traded.

SO what is the aproxamite cost for having a shop do the head gaskets on a 4.0 Ranger. I realize cost could very but I want to giv my son(s) a basepark idea. I know I could possibly do it but without a place to do it it could take a while.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.0 OHV or SOHC?

You're probably looking at a few hundred dollars for labor at least, plus whatever the parts cost, not because it takes a lot of work to get to the head gaskets themselves, but because you have to remove everything else to go to the heads.

Then you also have the expense of the head gaskets themselves, plus all the other gaskets along the way, as well as things like draining/refilling the cooling system, and other parts like new head bolts. It'll be even more expensive if they do things like disconnect the exhaust manifolds from the heads, too.

A 99 Ranger should have a OHV engine. It would be less to replace head gaskets on this compared to a SOHC. I am guessing it would still be around $1000 if you have a dealer do it. You can probably find an independent mechanic that would do it for less. The problem is finding one that you can trust to do good work.

Assuming 4.0 OHV here...

"Book time" on a 4.0 ohv head r&r in a first gen explorer was 12 hours.

Some shops just charge book time while others charge the time it takes (even if it takes more or less than the book time).

Also, if its a 4.0 OHV motor, its unlikely that its the head "gasket". Its the heads themselves that crack. However, this was a bigger problem in the earlier 4.0's.. Less of an issue on the later ones.

~Mark

From what I have been told it had a hard life.

Tim

Little up date, it is a 1993 Ranger 4x4 4.0 5 speed. my oldest was able to trade his 06 audi that needed a oil pump for a 95 Free style. My 18yo probably would want ti because he has high standards, would want a bet up Ranger. But on the other hand I want a 4x4 again and would make a good trail truck. It ain't pretty but you don't really want a pretty trail vehicle. I probably wait till tax time get it and do the head gaskets or maybe cheaper to drop in a new(er) motor.

Tim

Back