Are Goodyear MT/R's noisy? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are Goodyear MT/R's noisy?

Got a '98 Sport and the crappy Uniroyals it came with are finally in need of replacement. I am between either the BFG T/A KO's or the Goodyear MT/R's. I've had the BFG's on my old '91 and I liked them--they balanced good, had great traction, and were not noisy. I'd like to try the Goodyears but don't want to end up with a noisy hard to balance tire. Driving is mostly street & highway, but I like having awesome tires just in case. I will go with the stock 235/75R15 size either way.

To the users of MT/R's: how were they, and if you've used the BFG's too how do they compare?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

since the goodyears are mud tires I would assume they would be louder than the BFG AT's. More of a gap between the tread blocks are going to increase the humm of the tires on the freeway.....

Why do you want MT/R's for the street? It is a mud tire and very noisy compared to the BFG A/T. I would think youd want the Wrangler AT/S at most.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, the MT/R's behave pretty well on the street all things considered--I just haven't seen anything specifically addressing their noise level. I like having additional off road capability if it doesn't interfere with daily driving (thats why the '98 Ex has 4WD). From what I've seen they are very streetable except I haven't ran across any threads or info mentioning anything regarding its noise compared to regular A/T tires, just some vague "its not as loud as I thought it would be" type comments which sparked my interest. My fallback is the BFG because it seems to be more stout than the AT/S (those are what the '91 had when I bought it; they were fine but I liked the BFG's much more) and it was as quiet as a car tire to my ears.

I sed to have the big-o XT's. They are a good tire for street and afforad use IMO

My brother (on his Jeep) went from 33" BFG A/T KO's to 35" Wranger MT/R's and the MT/R's are much louder and a rougher ride. I would say that his MT/R's are louder than my BFG M/T KM's. I've also heard they get louder as they wear. I'm not putting down the MT/R, in fact my next tires will be MT/R's. Just not sure you want to deal with the noise and ride just for the looks and occasional off-road adventure.

they hum it gets very anoying really quick but then u have to have a big stereo to block it out but they willl go thru some mud

I have a set of MTRs on my Rubicon(stock) and a set on my 8600 gvw pick up truck (not stock) basically 31's. There's 8k miles on the Jeep(since 3/04) and about 20k on the truck. I run 33 psi in the Jeep on the street, and I run 45 front and 65 rear in the truck

They are mud type tires with large lugs so you can hear them- I dont think they are any louder than any other tire Ive run, truthfully I dont hear them in my truck(sealed cab windows up). I can FEEL them though, at slow speeds you can feel each lug hit the pavement, through the steering wheel, not so much the seats.
In the Jeep I can hear them, it varies with speeds, but they do hum a bit. For what they are I dont mind the noise, and really the noise isnt that great. Ive run beside cheap or not maintained passenger car tires that are louder than the MTRs.
the big thing with lug type tires is to maintain them correctly- check air pressure often, run them at the correct pressures(NOT the sidewall pressures), rotate them, and keep the vehicle in alignment.

On and off road they do fine- great on the rocks, decent in the mud, excellent in deep snow, OK to good on Ice, excellent in the rain, excellent on pavement. The tire comes in may configurations and various load ranges so some may ride and handle differently with various vehicles and rims etc.

My next set of tires will be the MTRs - 285's for my Jeep

MT/R's are not going to last very long on the highway either. You need some bigger tires too, like 31x10.50

Jefe said:
My brother (on his Jeep) went from 33" BFG A/T KO's to 35" Wranger MT/R's and the MT/R's are much louder and a rougher ride. I would say that his MT/R's are louder than my BFG M/T KM's. I've also heard they get louder as they wear. I'm not putting down the MT/R, in fact my next tires will be MT/R's. Just not sure you want to deal with the noise and ride just for the looks and occasional off-road adventure.

I went from BFG MT's to the MT/Rs and the MT/Rs suck both onroad and offroad compared to the BFGs. The Goodyears handled worse, were louder, wore all fawked up.. they suck. :D

section525 said:
I went from BFG MT's to the MT/Rs and the MT/Rs suck both onroad and offroad compared to the BFGs. The Goodyears handled worse, were louder, wore all fawked up.. they suck. :D
Well shoot. . and here I thought the BFG's sucked :rolleyes:

Give 'em a try. I'm going back to BFGs though. :D Let me say that the MT/Rs are worse offroading in the snow than the MTs were. Can't say much about anything else.

I have 35" MTR's, I drive it on the street most times
The 35's drive better then my 33's.
Yes they are loud, not as loud as some tires I have had but overall they are probably the best tires I have owned......stick with a AT if you are not going wheeling often and are concerned about noise....

I had a set on my 98 Ranger. I had over 40,000 miles on them, and would have expected to get another 10,000. I agree with everything SteveVB said. I was very satisfied with them. They were loud but it was beautiful noise. They are expensive. I agree with 410Fortune stick with the ATs is you dont wheel often. Or you you could just get the MTRs and wheel more often.

i think they are both overpriced and i've heard iffy thinks about both,

i think when i finally get a vehicle to put some mt's on i'll go with bridgestone

Tires can't be loud when you can't hear them over the exhaust.
The rougher tires, the better the butt massage.

:p

Mine arent that loud or that rough. But any mud tire compared to any A/T is louder.

From this discussion I'm leaning toward the BFG A/T KO. I like these better than Goodyear's various A/T's. I forgot the MT/R's come stock on the Rubicon Wranglers, so I might go test one just to see what the sound is like. However, if I can't find one I think I'll just go with the BFG A/T's.

Unfortunately my location does not have almost any places to do any mild wheeling, let alone serious wheeling, so wheeling more often isn't an option. :( Dang I need to move back to Fla.

Thanks guys for the inputs.

There's a few places in Missouri, Wisconsin, and Indiana....and there's gotta be someplace you can go in Illinois or Iowa.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back