Are You a Happy Sport Owner OR....... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Are You a Happy Sport Owner OR.......

If you Lemon Lawed your Ex Sport for smelly cabin, would you?

• Total voters

Toddgfd

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Okay. I love my new Explorer that I have had a week, but I'm worried about this whole cabin smell thing. I have heard a lot of posters on here that would (seemingly) qualify for the Lemon Law in here in CA for their problems, but have continued to muddle through what sounds like endless disappointments. What I want to know is this: How many happy 2013 Explorer Sport owners are there out there? I would love to know that there are lots of problem free/smell free cars with happy owners driving around out there and that my problem along with some others are simply aberrancies. While I hope to get my issue repaired (crossed fingers), being that I can't drive my family around until it is 100% fixed, I need to develop a contingency plan. If...gulp...Lemon Law is pursued how many would take the cash (my vehicle now has 270 miles of prorated use) and switch brands, or how many would request a new Explorer Sport (The car I/WE all settled on due to its badassedness in the first place) in hopes the replacement will be trouble free?? Please vote in the poll I am attempting to activate.:thumbsup::thumbdwn::scratch:

Thanks,

Todd

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm happy as a pig in s.......! I've had my sport a little over a month and now have 3500 miles on the odo now and haven't had a single complaint. The only thing I smell is that 'new car smell'. wish it would never go away.

My 2012 Limited with just over 25,000 km on it has been terrific and 100% odor free so far. As a result I have no need/reason to place a "speculative" vote in your poll based on the two choices you provided. Good luck with your Sport.

I've had mine two weeks and 475 miles. No smells here knock knock. Is there a known cause determined on your issue?

Eddie

I have owned my 2013 White Platimum Tri Coat Explorer Sport with the Black Sienna Interior seats for around 3 months and 1500 miles and there has never a single problem, glitch or cabin smell of any kind. MFT has worked flawlessly and the Sport performance has been absolutely remarkable. I am 110% completely satisfied with the Sport.

Before the Sport I used to owned a 2012 Ford Explorer Limited fully loaded and in the year and half that I owned it with 12500 miles in it I never had a single problem with it. The only thing I had to do was to upgrade MFT with the new firmware that was sent to me by Ford and I did it myself and I only took 45 minutes to do.

The truth is that if I was to be given the choice of getting my money back for a cabin smelling problem in my Sport and or getting another Explorer I will definitely without a doubt choose to get another Explorer . That is how confident I am with Ford Motor Company and their vehicles.

This is good information for someone like myself, who has ordered a new EX Sport, but not received it yet. To be honest, I've been getting a little worried that I've made a bad decision since a lot of the forums are devoted to 'problems'. I am hopeful that these only account for a small percentage of all EX owners/vehicles. And hopefully, since my Sport will be built a little later in production that some of these issues will have been corrected.

1400 miles and around 3 weeks of driving. Everything is great... seems like things are actually getting better and that new car oh man that new car smell. Only issue is I cant seem to get my BT to connect with my phone for music. Other than that everything else is great!

Hey everyone!

This is just a quick note from your friendly Ford Customer Service Representative. :) I'm here to help whenever you have a concern with your vehicle, so if you find yourself experiencing this issue, I want to jump in and get to work for you. All I need is your information (VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name) to begin researching options.

Of course, those of you who are loving your Explorers are welcome to contact me, too! :D

Crystal

I love my explorer. I personally know several people that have had no problems with their explorers. I think that some people just need to complain and make up things to worry about. Maybe you should ask someone if they are might have farted in your car or maybe its some dog doo on your shoes? I'm sure once you fix your smell problem you will move on and find something new to complain about.

I love my sport. I will get another one when my lease is up, unless something
faster and better comes along in 3 years :)

ford4lifer, i agree. seems like a lot of people make mountains out of mole hills. Its probably just some lose gasket or sealant on the engine melting when the block gets hot. Quit common on new cars, it will go aways after a few hundred miles. some people get a life.

Okay. I love my new Explorer that I have had a week, but I'm worried about this whole cabin smell thing. I have heard a lot of posters on here that would (seemingly) qualify for the Lemon Law in here in CA for their problems, but have continued to muddle through what sounds like endless disappointments. What I want to know is this: How many happy 2013 Explorer Sport owners are there out there? I would love to know that there are lots of problem free/smell free cars with happy owners driving around out there and that my problem along with some others are simply aberrancies. While I hope to get my issue repaired (crossed fingers), being that I can't drive my family around until it is 100% fixed, I need to develop a contingency plan. If...gulp...Lemon Law is pursued how many would take the cash (my vehicle now has 270 miles of prorated use) and switch brands, or how many would request a new Explorer Sport (The car I/WE all settled on due to its badassedness in the first place) in hopes the replacement will be trouble free?? Please vote in the poll I am attempting to activate.:thumbsup::thumbdwn::scratch:

Thanks,

Todd

I've had mine since October 2012 and did have the smell when punching the throttle. I've got about 7000 km now, and the smell seems to have gone away. Perhaps a bit of a break-in issue?

I love my explorer. I personally know several people that have had no problems with their explorers. I think that some people just need to complain and make up things to worry about. Maybe you should ask someone if they are might have farted in your car or maybe its some dog doo on your shoes? I'm sure once you fix your smell problem you will move on and find something new to complain about.

Quote from Fordgeek:ford4lifer, i agree. seems like a lot of people make mountains out of mole hills. Its probably just some lose gasket or sealant on the engine melting when the block gets hot. Quit common on new cars, it will go aways after a few hundred miles. some people get a life.

Thanks for chiming in guys, but first of all I do know $**T from Shineola, and the smell is neither. This is my first Ford in my 42 year life and I have never had this problem that if you do a search, is discussed in multiple threads, has had multiple TSBs released for a solution (with varying degrees of success). I hesitate to dismiss it as a 'break in issue', 'probably a loose gasket', or just some petty 'molehill', as there are folks on here that are over the 15,000 mile mark continuing to experience it. I am not a complainer, but I want a safe car "so I can continue to have a life" and know that my wife and two young kids aren't stuck in a confined space breathing carcinogenic hydrocarbons that right now is giving them headaches. The point of my thread here was to get a gauge for happy customers because I love this car, and want to keep this car, so thanks Ford4lifer for sharing that you know several happy X owners.

Quote from Fordgeek:ford4lifer, i agree. seems like a lot of people make mountains out of mole hills. Its probably just some lose gasket or sealant on the engine melting when the block gets hot. Quit common on new cars, it will go aways after a few hundred miles. some people get a life.

Thanks for chiming in guys, but first of all I do know $**T from Shineola, and the smell is neither. This is my first Ford in my 42 year life and I have never had this problem that if you do a search, is discussed in multiple threads, has had multiple TSBs released for a solution (with varying degrees of success). I hesitate to dismiss it as a 'break in issue', 'probably a loose gasket', or just some petty 'molehill', as there are folks on here that are over the 15,000 mile mark continuing to experience it. I am not a complainer, but I want a safe car "so I can continue to have a life" and know that my wife and two young kids aren't stuck in a confined space breathing carcinogenic hydrocarbons that right now is giving them headaches. The point of my thread here was to get a gauge for happy customers because I love this car, and want to keep this car, so thanks Ford4lifer for sharing that you know several happy X owners.

Just as something that reminded me with the ""so I can continue to have a life" and know that my wife and two young kids aren't stuck in a confined space breathing carcinogenic hydrocarbons that right now is giving them headaches." part goes, I had received this a while ago in an email so I thought I would share it as there is not really proof one way or the other but does seem to make sense http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/benzene.asp

I've had my Sport since mid-Feb and it has been great. No smelly cabin problem or any of the other problems that crop up on the forum.

Closest thing to a problem is that I can't use the Wi-Fi connect in MFT because the keypad screen shows up blacked out and I can't type in my router's password. But not a huge issue since I don't really need that functionality. All the other important MFT functions work great for me.

Overall, I love the Sport's power and how smooth and quiet it rides. So yes, consider me a very happy Sport owner.

Happy Sport owner here. Best vehicle I have ever owned. I also have an 11, Ltd. They fixed all the little things. .... Now it's the vehicle it should be. Awesome ride power and MFT is working as promised. No glitches and its fast.

I'll be the first negative post of this thread!

I am in the process of lemon lawing my Explorer Sport as we speak. If you read my previous thread you'll see why--http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380861. I did get the car back after 45 days but now am dealing with interior panels popping out of place, air leaks, more electrical issues, etc....

That being said, I do think my vehicle issue was very rare and isolated. I am asking Ford to replace the vehicle and not refund my money as there is nothing else in the segment that can compete with the 3.5 EcoBoost.

Also, if you are contemplating lemon law, document EVERYTHING now! Don't even try the BBB Auto Line process, complete waste of time. Hire a lawyer the moment you think you are going the Lemon Law route. Ford will ignore you and attempt to blow you off. They will not even entertain the idea of replacing the vehicle unless you file a lemon law suit.

I've had mine 1 month today and have put around 550 miles on it. I got used to the torque steer quickly and love driving it more and more each day. Besides a few quirks with the MFT, I have no complaints.

I've had my 2013 Explorer Limited v6 4wd for about 7 or 8 months now. I have 14000 miles and I noticed a slight intermittent scent when it was new. It never really bothered me. It was not a smell that I recognized but it was not really that bad. I only really noticed it when I parked it in the garage especially after running it a bit agressively. It slowly got less noticeable and now it seem to be completely gone. For me it was never a big deal; just something burning off a new car. I still have some of the new car smell left, but I hope that never goes away!

I absolutely love my EX and have had no issues at all with it except for the rare MFT bug. Even with those rare bugs, I wouldn't get an EX without it. I have come to really like the MFT features.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't notice if anyone asked, or you volunteered, what kind of smell are you talking about ?

when does it occur ?
is it just when driving or when shutting down or when idling or ?!?!

give us a bit more to go on and see if we can help...

I will tell you that whenever I get a new car, first thing I do is park it in the garage with all the windows and moonroof, etc.. open so it will 'air' out...

new cars aren't as bad as they used to be (nor near as bad as a new rv !!!) but still I like to air it out....

When we were test driving, we got a limited with 3 miles on it...
by the time my wife had 'tested' it - it was gasping for breath and smelling like ever swatch of paint was smoldering :)

Back