ashtray for explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ashtray for explorer

We need to get back on topic here. The man asked about an ashtray for his Explorer, not a lecture & flaming about people that smoke.

This is not a way to keep new members:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im wondering the same thing i bought a 99 2dr sport..came with lighter in dash..no ashtray..got 2 cup and a place next to both for a bic. So i bought a used console piece from another explorer with 2 cup and ashtray..didnt come with metal insert..haha. So didnt bother swapping yet. Yeah i smoke and those cup things from parts stores do not work damn lids wont stay on (cheap $1-3 guys)

Almost 12 years?

If anyone actually wants an explorer in-dash ashtray I have an one out of a 2001 that had the short console. It's never been used as an ashtray, so it's in very good condition. All I have is the ashtray so I don't know what you'd have to do to be able to slide it in/out of the dash, but you can have it for the cost of shipping.

As far as smoking, disgusting, smelly habit as far as I'm concerned, and there's no way I'd let anyone smoke in my truck. I don't even like being near someone who smokes. Smokers don't realize how bad they stink until after they've quit. JMO.

When mine was much newer I made a template, folded a piece of cardboard into a V-shape that seemed like it would sit nicely in my floor/center console bin, then roamed a junkyard till I found one of the center dash flip-down styles that roughly matched the cardboard template and fit reasonably. I don't recall what vehicle it came out of.

Then I took a small plastic shell, put an LED in it with a switch so it was illuminated, mounted that where the floor console trim meets the dash. Kept it in the vehicle for a while, then right after the first time a passenger left a burn mark on my carpet, took it out. After that it became a no-smoking vehicle.

Several years have gone by since then and I wiped down every reasonably accessible surface with Mr. Clean (warm ammonia + detergent solution does about as well as anything to get tobacco tar off of surfaces). It doesn't smell like an ashtray now but maybe there's the slightest scent (or maybe just my imagination). Carpet, cloth seats, headliners, etc are the difficult part - I used Mr Clean on the carpet but don't know what ammonia would do to headliner foam or adhesive (if anything). Now that our vehicles are older, touching the headliner with *anything* might destroy it.

Cup holder on the window would work horrible, if the window was cracked (which you would want to do if someone's smoking) would cause an air stream that pulled ash out of it and all over the interior. Ashing out the window can also suck it back in and doesn't resolve what to do with the butt when finished. Even a basic thing like being pulled over by police for a traffic violation and being told to put out your cigarette can be a problem then, as they can get you for littering if you toss it outside... guess you could keep a spare bottle of water inside just for such occasions (or to drink if there are no such occasions, which I do anyway in spring through fall, once temperatures stay above freezing).

When mine was much newer I made a template, folded a piece of cardboard into a V-shape that seemed like it would sit nicely in my floor/center console bin, then roamed a junkyard till I found one of the center dash flip-down styles that roughly matched the cardboard template and fit reasonably. I don't recall what vehicle it came out of.

Then I took a small plastic shell, put an LED in it with a switch so it was illuminated, mounted that where the floor console trim meets the dash. Kept it in the vehicle for a while, then right after the first time a passenger left a burn mark on my carpet, took it out. After that it became a no-smoking vehicle.

Several years have gone by since then and I wiped down every reasonably accessible surface with Mr. Clean (warm ammonia + detergent solution does about as well as anything to get tobacco tar off of surfaces). It doesn't smell like an ashtray now but maybe there's the slightest scent (or maybe just my imagination). Carpet, cloth seats, headliners, etc are the difficult part - I used Mr Clean on the carpet but don't know what ammonia would do to headliner foam or adhesive (if anything). Now that our vehicles are older, touching the headliner with *anything* might destroy it.

Cup holder on the window would work horrible, if the window was cracked (which you would want to do if someone's smoking) would cause an air stream that pulled ash out of it and all over the interior. Ashing out the window can also suck it back in and doesn't resolve what to do with the butt when finished. Even a basic thing like being pulled over by police for a traffic violation and being told to put out your cigarette can be a problem then, as they can get you for littering if you toss it outside... guess you could keep a spare bottle of water inside just for such occasions (or to drink if there are no such occasions, which I do anyway in spring through fall, once temperatures stay above freezing).

When we kicked my daughter's useless baby-daddy out this past spring, we had to sell off the car he'd been using ('97 Expl Sport). He smoked like a chimney and the interior of that vehicle stunk so bad I had to hold my breath if I got in it to move it. I couldn't imagine selling the truck smelling the way it was. My daughter (who works for Home Depot) said that she might have something to reduce the stink. It's made by Zep, and it's some kind of odor eliminator. After vacuuming out the interior real well I sprayed that stuff everywhere (especially all the soft surfaces). Frankly, I didn't give it much hope, but by the next day when I opened the door I couldn't smell any cigarette smoke at all. I may not have the best sense of smell anymore, but the Zep product made a huge improvement.

I i just thought it was odd it came with lighter and no ashtray. I dont smoke in truck very often at all..but if i do id rather not throw it out window.

---------
Now thats being pretty strick not letting your friends or relatives in your truck just because they smoke.
I know this is an old post but I am just seeing it. I remember sitting next to a smoker when he accidentally burned a hole in my shirt. Shirts are a lot cheaper than leather seats.

Hey guys, i really appreciate all the feedback and info everyone contributes. Im not new to fords or ford trucks necessarily, but i am when it comes to the 99 explorer sport i bought last nov. Firstly its a/t, second everything is power...i am so not complaining..just different. I bought it at 151k it runs drives like it only has 75k. As of to date i have put on 4k maybe little over..most all hwy. Put in new uca's in front, recent oil change, got new pads all around today. Couple other little things also. All this said, MY Question finally is, the reason i got pads was i assumed the sound i was hearing was brake related and flywheel at worst. Its a metal swish really loud similar to when down to shims. Not constant, intermittent and only in 1st gear range. Not. When braking or accelerating. I read it may possibly be a caliper? I had all 4 wheels off today rotors and pads looked ok with exception of red rust dust on calipers. I threw new on rear regardless. What could this possibly be? It sounds loud tinny and not good in the brief moments it occurrs. Sorry so long...thanks for reading. Pics are front drv what was there and i put right back. All 4 about the same
20180205_172058_HDR.jpg
20180205_172149_HDR.jpg
20180205_172058_HDR.jpg
20180205_172149_HDR.jpg
20180205_172058_HDR.jpg

Back