• Register Today It's free!

Audio Cables

93eric

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, Ky.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93xlt
I'm getting my new alpine amp installed under the rear seat this week, and when I was talking to the install guy, he suggested getting a Tsunami 4-way shielded RCA plug instead of using 2 separate 2-ways. Problem is he said the 4-way cable was around $60!!!

Does the quality of cable really make that much of a diffence sound wise?
Once again, any input would be helpful!

Alpine CDA-9830, 4 Alpine SPS-570a's, Alpine MRP-F240 Amp

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It does make a difference, but most people won't notice. For my first install, I used regular, gold-plated, shielded RCAs from Radio Shack. For the second one, I used these and was very pleased with them.

As for the single 4-way vs. dual 2-way, I have always heard to do the opposite of what your installer is doing and use two 2-ways.

B94....Did your guy say why it was better to do the opposite of what my guy said.
My guy said something about the shielded 4-ways have less signal inteference than 2-ways. Something about one 4-way having less surface area than 2 2-ways. I was confused, but it made alot of sense @ the time.

It is my understanding that a shielded RCA performs much like a coax cable, in that the shielding keeps the cable from emitting anything that will interfere with other signals, but it does not protect the cable itself from outside interference. So the logic behind using two is that it's cheaper, and perhaps if the sleeve of a 4-way itself is the only thing shielded, the internal cables themselves will still suffer interference from each other. I am not sure if that is the case, however, and if it is not, then the only advantage I see in using two 2-ways is cost. I don't see how surface area would play into any of this since RCAs are supposed to be run on the opposite side from any power wires, so there should not be any external sources of interference.

OK, Thanks, I think I'll go with the Cheaper of the 2 unless anyone else chimes in with something else

Id say go with the cheaper ones. There will be a difference but you wont be able to tell, unless your an audiophile and have to have everything perfect. I have walmart scoche RCA wires myself and sounds fine to mee

I agree with B94Sport. Go with the KnuKonceptz cables. They are not only great cables, but you can't beat the price. KnuKonceptz's cables are the only ones I use anymore. Visit their web site at http://www.KnuKonceptz.com

You should always use shielded cables when able to. It does make a difference especially with interference like engine noise. Nothing worse than spending 1000 bucks on audio equipment and saving 15 bucks on a cable that would have prevented the sound of your engine reving along at 3K RPMS going back and forth. Then to get rid of that sound, you will have to get a new shielded cable anyway, so I say get it now so you don't have to worry about it later. Pay once and get good, Pay twice because you saved the first time.

Back