Audio Geniuses! Help, speaker popping then no sound. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Audio Geniuses! Help, speaker popping then no sound.

Big Green

Reaction score
City, State
OKC, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.6L
About three days ago my passenger side speaker started popping when music was turned up around 60% volume. So today I take it to an audio shop to let them listen to it. Well the only answer they could give me was.... "Maybe you got a bad set of components". Well after leaving I turned on the radio and NO sound was coming from the woofer or tweeter. And now the drivers side is starting to pop. Help what could have happened? How can I test to see if the speaker is blown? I paid alot of money for this component set, and I want them to work. Please any input helps. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you quickly outline your setup? And what wiring is still stock?

Focal 165 Components up front
Focal 165 Coaxials in rear
MTX 4244 amp running 60 watts per speaker
Eclipse 8443 HU

I dont know exactly what all wiring is still stock, I didnt install the HU or amp, there are two RCA's running to the amp from the HU I assume. I will take pics if that might help.

I asked the guy @ the audio shop if this is what clipping sounds like, and he said..." Well sort of but this sound is extremely vicious, this sound is way too harsh and strong." I dont think it is the amp because the rear doors arent doing it.

Couldn't it still be the amp but only select channels are affected?

Probably not after the amp since both fronts are affected, unless the speakers share the same crossover.

Maybe the RCA from the HU to the amp?

You just have to start narrowing things down.

thats not what clipping sounds like....and it usally wont wreck things that fast took 2 months of beating on my sub b4 it gave out ( yah i know dumb but i didnt know)

sounds like the wireing(sp??) like mabey the wires grounded and burt up..that could be why they dont make any sound now i have thrashed speakers prety badly and even blow havent had them just cut out on me and i was trying to be mean to them

u said it is th components is it the whole thing? tweeter mid and woffer? or just the lower 2? if its just the lower 2 it sounds like mabey its just the wiring from the crossover if u had it installed at..hmm bestbuy or something like that it would explain why they are both doing it because the wires were prolly run the same way..snaked with extreme prejudice

I installed the speakers myself, and the crossover that came with it. Each pair of speakers has its own crossover on per speaker. I am going to go take out the side that doesnt work and try to do some testing on it to see if it works after I take it out and hook it up. How could I tell if it is the crossover is bad. I dont have any expierence with trouble shooting, so there is always a first time. I'll let you know what I find when I get the speaker out.

Why not quickly connect another speaker to the amp to see if it's up or downstream?

Good idea, alot less work. I'll try that

On the amp there is a setting that controls the amps crossover, it gives me 3 choices, FP, HP, LP. I've had it on FP which I assume means Free range both highs and lows. Should I have it on the High pass. I hooked up one of the rear speakers to the front channel on my amp. I had to turn up to radio pretty high to get that speaker to begin to pop. But.... the popping wasnt anything like the sound before. It was just the sound of the speaker reaching its full potential. The pop was not loud or very noticable, and it was almost more of a distortion than a pop.

I'm assuming you have subs. Your components should only be producing mids and highs. Sending them lows could indeed be causing problems.

No I don't have any subs yet, I just ordered a JL 12W7 and it should be in next week. But of course these problems have to happen right before my final audio purchase.

It is possible for one channel on a four channel amp to go out?

Back