• Register Today It's free!

Audio problems! Help!

jamesglenn

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
So I joined because I have a couple issues with my 1993 Explorer. Every forum about the problems I have are years old so I figured I'd ask again for updated part numbers, wire diagrams, etc.

I have an aftermarket radio that isn't working in my Explorer. Everything I've read says that you must bypass the stock amp or wire your own speakers. As I don't plan on installing a one of a kind sound system just yet, I think my best option is to bypass the amp. So does anyone know where I can get the harness to do so, and exactly how I do it. Side note. I know absolutely nothing about audio or wiring. Hah sorry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ebay is your cheapest source. I think I paid like $4 for it several years ago.

Crutchfield has oodles of adapter harnesses. No need to bypass factory amp, go ahead and use it. With the proper adapter you can plug-n-play.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-EpjF0nFUOGH/shopsearch/radio_harness.html?awcp=1t1&awcr=109237447283&awdv=c&awkw=+stereo +harness +adapters&awmt=b&awnw=g

+1 for this. Using crutchfield's harnesses made installing new stereos a breeze. Swapped the one out of an 05 Expedition and a 94 Explorer. Make sure you get some decent wire nuts or you solder your connections and cover them in heat shrink tubing. Soldering it has a way of lasting longer though. Using the stock amp has worked out pretty well so far, even on a twenty year old vehicle. Be aware that bypassing your stock amp can remove the fading and balancing features of your stereo unless the new amp supports it.

I just bought a new Pioneer car stereo from Crutchfield to replace my original 1993 cassette radio that doesn't work any more. The Metra harness they included made it a snap (metraonline.com). Here's the label on the bag:
Wiring harness label.png

James, there are a couple of 'gotcha's' here. Since the OEM radio has already been replaced, you need to know if you have the original wires and connectors to use the OEM amplifier (assuming you had the upgraded sound system) or if whomever replaced the radio already bypassed the amplifier and maybe ran their own wires to the speakers. The OEM amplifier uses a special connector that plugs into the factory radio and has the circuit that turns on the amplifier. Our '94 Limited had that connector missing when we purchased it, which in your case would mean that you couldn't use a harness as is.

Also, I found that hooking the power antenna output from the aftermarket stereo to the amp turn-on wire made everything work in mine! Just something to try.

Personally I used a harness from Walmart just take the remote wire from the radio and hook it to the blue wire with the white stripe that is how I got mine to work

Back