• Register Today It's free!

audio system help

98ws6

Reaction score
City, State
philadelphia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
well i am looking into getting a system put in my 97 xlt explorer and i was looking at these component systems: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-K3bbj1MEaeG/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&I=1086810CS or http://www.crutchfield.com/S-K3bbj1MEaeG/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&I=065SX50 or http://www.crutchfield.com/S-K3bbj1MEaeG/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=410&I=107DB5250

i just have a few questions about them though....first where could i put the tweeters at? does anyone have some ideas or even photos of where you guys mounted your tweeters in your explorers secondly is it hard to install the crossovers and is it hard overall to install these component sets?

and lastly what subs/amp set up do you guys have that hit hard for not too much money and is it ported/sealed/or bandpassed?

thanks for everything guys :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i just replaced my head unit and it sounds great w/ the stock speakers. i would say mount tweeters in the plastic next to the windshield, right above air vents (hopefully you know where im talkin about)...i havent installed any and dont know if they'll fit or anything, but thats where id try. i have an orion 800w amp w/ a 12" Brahma (by adire audio) system, in a sealed box, sounds really, really good. as for installation, i cant see it being that hard. instructions are usually pretty easy to follow for that kind of thing, but if you have to find a place to mount tweeters and everything, id probably just get someone to do it professionally.

moving to audio

98ws6 said:
first where could i put the tweeters at?

Corner defrost vents work great for imaging. Block of the vents w/ polyfill and set the tweeters in place and put the covers back on. Wiring is tough to snake through, but doable with a coat hanger to snake them through.

the most common place ive seen for the tweeters is by the front air vents like everyone else has been saying. i have also seen them placed right above/slighty behind the front seats in the top of the side panel, but i recomend by the vents.

in my 01 sport i have 2 12 inch infinity reference (1242w) and a power acoutik ts-1440 amp in a sealed box which hits incredibly hard. i really love it and recomend that sub/amp setup to anyone. the box is up to you. a sealed box will give you a cleaner cripser hit formt he subs, where as a vented or ported box will resonate the sound longer and be heard outside of the car a little more. i dont recomend bandpass boxes because they help make the sub louder through having the air it pushes make it recoil back further. it will make your sub wear down faster and doesnt sound as clean.

billyboy5151 said:
the most common place ive seen for the tweeters is by the front air vents like everyone else has been saying. i have also seen them placed right above/slighty behind the front seats in the top of the side panel, but i recomend by the vents.

in my 01 sport i have 2 12 inch infinity reference (1242w) and a power acoutik ts-1440 amp in a sealed box which hits incredibly hard. i really love it and recomend that sub/amp setup to anyone. the box is up to you. a sealed box will give you a cleaner cripser hit formt he subs, where as a vented or ported box will resonate the sound longer and be heard outside of the car a little more. i dont recomend bandpass boxes because they help make the sub louder through having the air it pushes make it recoil back further. it will make your sub wear down faster and doesnt sound as clean.

is it hard to get the tweeters in where the air vents are? also how do i disconnect it so no air/heat comes out of there? also i was thinkin about getting 2 component sets 4 tweeters in all...where could i put the other 2? is there anywhere in the back of the truck to even out the highs?
thanks guys

Back