• Register Today It's free!

Auto 4 Wheel on a 98 Sport

carman99

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Do you guys have Automatic 4 Wheel Drive?

My 98 Explorer Sport is equipped with Fords Automatic 4 Wheel Drive, and I have a grinding noise when cornering. The Ford techs have told me that when cornering, or under other normal driving conditions that will cause the wheels to turn at different speeds, the auto 4 wheel will kick in and out (creating less than desirable driveng characteristics). I think this is where my noise is coming from.

I'm generally satisfied with my vehicle, but I would love to get rid of the auto 4 wheel. I'm thinking about disconnecting the front sensor and duping the signal from the rear to the front input, thereby tricking the computer into thinking there is no slippage and disabling the auto 4 wheel.

Has anyone done this or heard ot it? Is there another way (retro fitting an older wiring harness onto the transfer case) to get rid of the automatic option and get a traditional 2-hi/4hi setup?

Say WHAT?

I have a 98 Sport with the auto 4 wheel drive system. I currently have 37,000 miles on my truck. I have never heard any grinding or squealing coming from my front end. I checked both in and out of 4 wheel drive and nothing. I would take it to another FORD dealer. Tell them to put it in writing as to the reason for this and you might be surprised as to what they can do.

Does the sound happen in conditions where 4x4 is not needed. You might be correct in your guess. I can't see that being a problem in a auto 4x4 but I don't have one or never used one. To turn off the 4x4 just pull the fuse.

Back