• Register Today It's free!

Auto Dim/Auto Light Mirror

FXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Loxahatchee, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
I've seen a few threads about where to hook up the auto light on mirror to white/purple wire. I had tried them all and they never worked. If you remove the plastic panel over the driver side door sill and pull up the carpet, you will see a bundle of wire. The white/purple wire is the one to splice into. This is going directly to the RAP sensor. Took me about 5 minutes to find it and hook-up. Worked perfectly the first time and never had a problem since. Hope this helps someone out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting. I'll give that a try this weekend since I can't seem to find it under the dash either. I can see it back on the RAP module itself but don't wish to run a wire back there just for that.

Just to finish it all off do you happen to know if there's a wire there on the floor that runs to the reverse light hookup? That black/pink wire would be the only one left I hadn't hooked up and if there's one easily available I may as well do it

Black/Pink wire in the same harness is for backup lights, which also ties into the RAP module.

Great. I was hoping to find something like that. I meant to look last weekend but got busy. Thanks - I'll finish it up this weekend.

Auto lamp question

FXplorer said:
I've seen a few threads about where to hook up the auto light on mirror to white/purple wire. I had tried them all and they never worked. If you remove the plastic panel over the driver side door sill and pull up the carpet, you will see a bundle of wire. The white/purple wire is the one to splice into. This is going directly to the RAP sensor. Took me about 5 minutes to find it and hook-up. Worked perfectly the first time and never had a problem since. Hope this helps someone out.
Hey thank you for the information, I tried the wht purple wire on my 2001 sport it did work for the parking lights, but the headlights will not turn on. any input? thank you jake do you think there is a relay i may be missing

FX Help

I am about to install the autolamp mirror in my 2001 ST J1, which has the RAP sensor, but it only is connected to the parking lamp relay according to the wiring manual.

Question 1: All of you that have successfully made the w/p splice work for your park AND headlamps, do you have a headlamp relay in your junction box?

In my 2001, there's an unused position that I think might be the spot for the headlamp relay.

Question 2: Does anyone know if the junction box of 2001 is pre-wired for the headlamp relay or did it get a new harness entirely for 2002+ when they added autolamp as an option?

Any help/insight would be great!!

Auto lamp help on 2000 Sport/2001 Sport or ST

Just installed the auto lamp/auto dim mirror today.

The auto dim functions perfectly; a really simple connection.

But as I suspected, the autolamp does not work with the splice into the w/p wire under the sill/kick.

I bench tested the assembly and everything worked, so I guess I'll need to wire some relays to the switch or something....

I'll ask again; has anyone gotten this to work on a 2001 ST or Sport with Keyless, Convenience package, and RAP?

I have searched every post about autolamps/auto dim and could not come up with an answer for the issues I'm having-all wired up correctly (wh/pur to wh/pur under sill, red/yellow to gray/yellow and black to ground in OHC, light green/yellow to cig lighter)-mirror dims as it is supposed to and both green lights are on, however, when I cover the photo eye, all I get is a blinking orange light and no lights (headlights or parking),if I uncover it blinking light stops.Do I need a relay or do I need to wire/splice the wh/purp wire into a different place? I believe the blinking light is the ground pulse so the only thing I can come up with is the wh/pur wire needs to go somewhere else I just have no clue as to where.

Back