• Register Today It's free!

auto dimming mirror wire question

transmissionguy

Reaction score
City, State
greentown , Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer xlt
I am gonna be installing an auto meter in my 94 soon. I know where all but one wire goes in the truck BUT i have a black and pink wire, does anyone know where this goes? this mirror came out of a 96 if it helps anyone. thanks everybody.

Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The black/pink wire goes to the tranny selector. What happens is that when you put to reverse gear, the mirror cancels the dimming function. IMO, it's not worth adding wire to it.

thanks for the help I made a mistake meter is supposed to be mirror lol :D

You're welcome!! I thought you were talking about the mirror so I ignored the word "meter" so don't worry about it.

I finished up my mirror install but I couldnt find the wire for the automatic headlights. I have a 1994 xlt is my explorer to old to have this option?

I think you have to build a relay for it. It was beaten badly on one of the threads I started. Do a search for autolamp/autodimming mirror.

Ya, '96explorereddiebauer is correct. You probably have to install two relays for your system.

Just find that link and you will be good to go. I drew up a diagram for it. Just follow it and you will be on your way to never having to use your headlight switch again!

How do ya like your autolamp, Hoppy??

96explorereddiebauer, Why hell Yeah! That is great. I have been searching my local wrecking yard and have been trying to find the overhead console as well as the centre console for my truck.

But for sure, that autolamp system is great. It is actually quite nice to have the autolamps at night because I don't have any lights on the front of my garage, and at night when I come home it is great that the lights stay on for a few minutes so I can find my key to get into the house, as well as lighting my way to the side door. It is the best thing since sliced bread!

Hoppy

Hey, for the black/pink wire...it is your reverse lights...think about it...wire coming from the tranny....put it in reverse...the back up lights come on, right...there for the black/ pink wire will have power and cancel the dimming mirror...

for the auto lamps...i dont know where the relay module is on the 94 1st generation...but for the 2nd generation it is located by the gas pedal...to the right, behind the dash ...the auto lamp wire is hooked up to 3 relays....1st, the park lamp relay, 2nd...the dimmer relay, and 3rd...head lamp relay...and voila, you have autolamps...

i cant say i love my auto lamps yet...cuz it is still sunny all day here...alaska, go figure....but i like it

hey, so what exactly is the autolamp anyways? i have a '93 X and i cant ever figure out what the purpose of it is or how to use it.....

The signature virus is spreading!!!

The autolamp system should be explained in your owners manual. You can also search for autolamp and you will see a post with how to program it to set the sensitivity when it comes on. I cannot remember the link, but it is about 6 pages long if I recall.

Hoppy

Autolamp is a function where it controls your headlights. When it is dark or getting dark, your headlights will automatically turn on. That way, you won't forget to turn them on when you're driving in the city and whatnot. When the sky is getting brighter, the headlights will turn off automatically. There's a delay funtion for the headlights too. You can see the delay anywhere from instantaneous to 3 minutes. It's a very nice feature to have if you need some light when you get home.

Back