Auto folding side mirrors... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto folding side mirrors...

That's like saying I'd be concerned about the motor on my moonroof and my windows constantly rolling up/down or open/close... it is a non issue and the motor is designed to... well... move.

We fold ours in/out every single day several times a day and zero issues. :thumbsup:

Designed to move without resistance.
Would you force your windows and sunroof to open when it's frozen from ice?
Having the side mirrors auto fold will do exactly that (auto fold regardless of obstruction and resistance) and that will eventually cause some type of failure or a completely damaged side mirror.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Designed to move without resistance.
Would you force your windows and sunroof to open when it's frozen from ice?
Having the side mirrors auto fold will do exactly that (auto fold regardless of obstruction and resistance) and that will eventually cause some type of failure or a completely damaged side mirror.

I have never had an issue with my folding mirrors on my Superduty and I plow with my truck.

Are you really trying to say that Ford doesn't design the folding mirrors for anyone North of the middle of the USA where we get snow 4 months of the year or anyone in Canada?

How about your wipers? How many times do people not clean all the snow off their window yet they turn their wipers on to clear the 1-4" of snow off them. How many times are someones wipers stuck to the windshield or frozen?

It is a non issue.

I have never had an issue with my folding mirrors on my Superduty and I plow with my truck.

Are you really trying to say that Ford doesn't design the folding mirrors for anyone North of the middle of the USA where we get snow 4 months of the year or anyone in Canada?

How about your wipers? How many times do people not clean all the snow off their window yet they turn their wipers on to clear the 1-4" of snow off them. How many times are someones wipers stuck to the windshield or frozen?

It is a non issue.

Oh, but that 72 Catalina I had burned up wiper motor, so it must apply today as well. ;)

It is a non issue.

This is by no means a isolated "potential" issue with Ford, considering autofold mirrors are also present in other vehicle brands.
Everyone had there difference of opinion and I've already witnessed how the mirror struggles in sub zero temp and glad they provided the option to disable autofold during lock/unlock.

I use my power fold mirrors every day at least 2X...Glad there is an option to turn that feature on/off, though. Never know when you may need to manually close or open. We wish we had it on our F150, but I guess we will have to wait until our next one...

Back