• Register Today It's free!

Auto headlights on in daylight

fyrfyter612

Reaction score
City, State
Portage Lakes, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Anyone else have there auto headlamps activate on very bright days full of sunshine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone else have there auto headlamps activate on very bright days full of sunshine?

This can be caused by either an obstruction on the window or dash blocking the sensor, or a dirty window, or a faulty sensor. I would wash the windshield directly over and in front of the sensor (center dash) on both inside and out with an alcohol cleaner (windex works). If you still have problems with the lights being active in full sunshine then I would take it in to the dealer.

This can be caused by either an obstruction on the window or dash blocking the sensor, or a dirty window, or a faulty sensor. I would wash the windshield directly over and in front of the sensor (center dash) on both inside and out with an alcohol cleaner (windex works). If you still have problems with the lights being active in full sunshine then I would take it in to the dealer.

so that is the sensor for the auto head light that black like lil cone thing near the bottom wind shield, i thought its for the front passenger airbag sensor.

so that is the sensor for the auto head light that black like lil cone thing near the bottom wind shield, i thought its for the front passenger airbag sensor.

That's the sensor.
I'm not sure about the new explorers but my chevy has the headlights on all the time, the "auto" part turns on the tail lights and dims the gauge lights. It's safer to have your headlights on, even when the sun is burning bright.

That's the sensor.
I'm not sure about the new explorers but my chevy has the headlights on all the time, the "auto" part turns on the tail lights and dims the gauge lights. It's safer to have your headlights on, even when the sun is burning bright.

Chevy's typically have running lights which are sometimes smaller lights next to the headlights, or dimmed headlights. Explorers can have running lights enabled too, but for North America they are disabled by default. If you have HID's the running lights are the front turn signals, if you don't have HID's they are the headlights.

It is possible the OP has running lights enabled, there are some states where they are required I believe.

fyrfyter612, if you PM me your VIN I can check and see if your build has running lights enabled from factory. If so this would explain your headlights on. But if they are enabled then you would also see them on while you have your lights in the off position and the car is in drive.

Back