nav screen and oil life questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

nav screen and oil life questions

boelteq

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
For Explorer 17 XLT when turning off car at night and the nav screen is still on for a bit is it supposed to go to daylight mode with bright background? I checked settings and it is on auto. I have no problem with it being black or white while driving during day/night. Headlight on auto.

Also is the oil life indicator that needs to be reset to 100 after oil changes only based on mileage and time passed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure what the first question is but for the OLM, it should always be reset to 100% after an oil change.

For Explorer 17 XLT when turning off car at night and the nav screen is still on for a bit is it supposed to go to daylight mode with bright background? I checked settings and it is on auto. I have no problem with it being black or white while driving during day/night. Headlight on auto.

Also is the oil life indicator that needs to be reset to 100 after oil changes only based on mileage and time passed?
After you have an oil change done the dealer should always reset the IOLM. It is always best to check that it has been done. If you do your own oil changes, then you should set to 100% yourself. This is covered in your Manual. It does not do it automatically.
As for the Sync 3 screen, yes, it goes to daylight mode after a few seconds after the vehicle is shutoff and the exterior lights go off. If you have the headlight delay set, the screen will stay in 'night' mode until the headlights turn off.

Peter

OLM is not just based on mileage. It uses a complex algorithm that keeps track of mileage, type of driving, city / highway, short trip / long trip, temperatures, engine RPM's etc. The OLM tells you when to change your oil, you can do it earlier, does not hurt anything but no scientific evidence that doing so will extend engine life. Following the OLM meets the warranty requirements of the vehicles manufacturer. BTW, OLM does not know if you use conventional or synthetic oil.

Not sure what the first question is but for the OLM, it should always be reset to 100% after an oil change.
after the dealer changed it I had to reset it myself but there was a sticker in the windshield and I already waited two hours so I just left

after the dealer changed it I had to reset it myself but there was a sticker in the windshield and I already waited two hours so I just left

The sticker I am guessing says 5,000 mile changes. They will put those there to try and get you in sooner for more profit. You do not need to and I just peel mine off.

The sticker I am guessing says 5,000 mile changes. They will put those there to try and get you in sooner for more profit. You do not need to and I just peel mine off.
yea the manual says 10000 / 1 year. Saves a trip a year. Also I think it's a design flaw that the screen doesn't stay in nighttime mode after turning off. No one wants a bright screen in their face at night

The guy that put that sticker onto the windshield is a minimum wage flunky that they hire to just do oil changes and has no idea what the OLM is or how to reset it.

He works on everything that shows up in the oil change bay. Sometimes I wonder why people even trust them putting oil into their vehicles. Whenever I have had a dealer change my oil I'll check the oil before I even start up the engine. I have heard too many stories from people that found out that they didn't put enough oil in to not putting any oil in at all, not to mention leaving the oil plug out.

You should have a talk with the service department about the IOLM not being reset. I have yet to find that mine was not reset by the service department and I always check it. The sticker is for your info only. You can follow it or follow your own schedule like most people do anyway. I've been driving for almost 55 years and have never done my own oil changes and have never had any issues with those facilities that did them.

Peter

yea the manual says 10000 / 1 year. Saves a trip a year. Also I think it's a design flaw that the screen doesn't stay in nighttime mode after turning off. No one wants a bright screen in their face at night
What is the screen brightness set at? Mine is at the half way point and I have no issues with it at all. If it really bothers you, turn the brightness down a little. The only way I can see the scenario of "No one wants a bright screen in their face at night" is if you continue to sit in the vehicle for a period of time after it has been turned off. I don't agree that it is a design flaw and works as intended. All three of my last vehicles, including the present one, have done this and it hasn't bothered me or apparently anyone else since I believe this is the first time it has been brought up in 7 years.

Peter

Back