• Register Today It's free!

Auto hub servicing?

RichRed 98

Reaction score
City, State
Hazleton, Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport 4x4
I did a search for "auto-hub servicing and came up with nothing. I read somewhere that you guys clean these hubs with ATF and let them dry. I never had a look at the auto hub system. Is this an easy procedure or not? Is it a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing? How long does it take to remove these hubs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you are talking about hubs on a 1st gen, 91-94. They can be soaked in ATF to lube and clean them. You can't do this on your 98.

RichRed 98 said:
Is this an easy procedure or not? Is it a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing? How long does it take to remove these hubs?

Yeah unless you're hubs are grinding due to bad bearings (and its not a subtle grind - it'll be a volcanic grind), then you dont really need to worry about them since, like RangerX stated, u cant really do anything to the 2nd gens front hub assembly other than replace them

to remove the front hub assembly is farily easy. just loosen the humongo nut thats holding the hub in at the center of the wheel before you jack the vehicle up, then go ahead and raise ur X and remove the tire, remove the calipers, remove the rotor, and the hub is held in by 3 bolts (i think its a 15mm wrench that u need) on the back side. I'd suggest you use a 6 point long handled wrench as opposed to a 12 point wrench since these bolts are sometimes very tight. then u just have to disconnect the ABS sensor wire from the front corner of the body under the headlights and ur ready to pop in the new one. I'd say that if you have never done this before, it'd probably take u at least 2 hrs..

Thanks for the detailed info. guys. Im not getting any noise from them. I just thought anything preventative to do with these hubs would help them last longer. Seems I've heard that these auto-hubs don't have a good track record.

You don't have auto hubs on a '98. The axle is fixed to the wheel hub via a spline and a nut. All of the drivetrain components turn continually, and the xfer case takes care of switching in and out of 4WD. As stated, there is nothing to service unless the bearings go bad, and then the wheel hubs have to be replaced, since the bearings are a sealed unit that is part of the hub.

RichRed 98 said:
Seems I've heard that these auto-hubs don't have a good track record.

From my experience, the front hubs tend to last pretty long as long as you dont start crossing bodies of water where they are submerged.

JDraper said:
You don't have auto hubs on a '98. The axle is fixed to the wheel hub via a spline and a nut. All of the drivetrain components turn continually, and the xfer case takes care of switching in and out of 4WD. As stated, there is nothing to service unless the bearings go bad, and then the wheel hubs have to be replaced, since the bearings are a sealed unit that is part of the hub.

Wow...for the few months I've had this Explorer, I was assuming I had "auto-hubs". Thanks for the wake-up call on this.

Back