• Register Today It's free!

Auto Hub Trouble

surfsup887

Reaction score
City, State
Milford, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie Bauer
The auto locking hubs on my truck are making a rattling sound after i turn off the 4x4 and back-up. what could be causing this? is it that they are not fully disengaging? and how do i fix this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you enjoy offroading and go somewhat frequently, I would consider converting to manual locking hubs. My auto hubs crapped out and I bought a set of manuals with the conversion hardware off of a member on here for $100. They haven't given me trouble since, and I definately have put them to the test. People are always selling them on here, and I would say it was one of the best investments I made in my truck. Not to mention, the job to convert them is cake- it should take an amature mechanic about an hour or two.

Auto Hubs

HMMM the old Auto vs Manual debate.....If the auto hubs are maintained (a PITA) they work fine....But i will second the motion for Manual conversion....try a search on the jeep style hub conversion its allegedly stronger.:bounce:

now if you convert to manual hubs can you leave them locked all the time and just electronically disengage the 4x4? Cause that would me the front axles aren't going to lock them right?

Fixed the problem

Fixed the problem. went manual :thumbsup:

Back