Auto Locks | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Locks

Bgochnauer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 explorer sport
I apologize in advance if this has already been asked and answered elsewhere on the forum.

We recently bought a 2013 Sport and love the features. I've not been able to find if the vehicle automatically locks if you shut it off and leave the area with the key. Does this feature exist and is it a toggle function if it does exist?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I apologize in advance if this has already been asked and answered elsewhere on the forum.

We recently bought a 2013 Sport and love the features. I've not been able to find if the vehicle automatically locks if you shut it off and leave the area with the key. Does this feature exist and is it a toggle function if it does exist?

It would be nice if it did exist, but it definitely doesn't on my 2015 Sport.

I wish it did as I liked that feature on my Wife's Buick Verano Sport Turbo. I am an owner of 2015 ExSport and the feature you are looking for certainly is not there in Ford.

I wish it did as I liked that feature on my Wife's Buick Verano Sport Turbo. I am an owner of 2015 ExSport and the feature you are looking for certainly is not there in Ford.

It would be nothing but a pain in the ass in my opinion.....When I get home from work and park in the garage, there are many times I have needed to get back into the vehicle later on and if it were to automatically lock once the key fob leaves the proximity of the vehicle, I would have to always remember to get my keys to enter my own vehicle parked in my own locked garage, or key in my code on the keypad....no thank you.........

I don't think it is something I would want either unless the option is there to turn the feature OFF.

Peter

Same here, I wouldn't want it either. I have such a habit now of locking it twice to hear the horn beep and confirm that it locked that I just know I won't ever forget.

Another scenario, you run into the store with your wife in the vehicle, vehicle arms, wife then opens door and sets alarm off.

But I could see it being an option like Peter said if it was programmed as an on/off feature.

I rented a suburban that had this feature and it was great. I agree that you might want to be able to toggle it but it was nice while I had it.

I rented a suburban that had this feature and it was great. I agree that you might want to be able to toggle it but it was nice while I had it.

I'm with you, it is a great feature.

Same here, I wouldn't want it either. I have such a habit now of locking it twice to hear the horn beep and confirm that it locked that I just know I won't ever forget.

Another scenario, you run into the store with your wife in the vehicle, vehicle arms, wife then opens door and sets alarm off.

But I could see it being an option like Peter said if it was programmed as an on/off feature.

Not sure about you guys, but my auto locks are on the left panel under locks. I have a Limited so not sure about the sports..

It isn't actually the 'Auto Locks' that the Explorer has that they are talking about. They are discussing the automatic locking of the doors when you walk away from the vehicle. Using the same term is a bit confusing. It's not an option something I would want unless you can turn it off.

Peter

I'd like the option for the doors to lock after I walk away. Too many times I just walk away from it because the "keys" are not in my hand due to the keyless fob sitting forgotten in my pocket.

I just hit the black button on the handle. That is how I lock mine 100% of the time. The fob always stays in my pocket.

Peter

I'm going to have to get used to doing that.
I've got one with manual locks, one with a normal remote and power locks and the Ex with the fob. I'm not making it easy on myself :)

I just hit the black button on the handle. That is how I lock mine 100% of the time. The fob always stays in my pocket.

Peter

The problem is that you have to get used to hitting the black button. I have walked away without doing so at least a dozen times in my 45 days of ownership. My other car with keyless ignition AUTOLOCKs which I find much more convenient. It doesn't honk at me when I get out to get the mail either.

The problem is that you have to get used to hitting the black button. I have walked away without doing so at least a dozen times in my 45 days of ownership. My other car with keyless ignition AUTOLOCKs which I find much more convenient. It doesn't honk at me when I get out to get the mail either.
Not having had one with this self locking system before I guess I didn't have any problem getting used to pressing the button. I do it without thinking about it. As for the honking nuisance, when I get out to get the mail I just don't close the door all the way. Only occasionally do I forget. :eek:

Peter

Back