auto->manual tranny swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

auto->manual tranny swap?

Hi All,
My tranny started slipping recently, so I'm looking at options.
Never heard of a rebuild that held up so I'm thinking about a standard instead.
Anybody ever do this?
How frustrating is it likely to be?
Thanks
JB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your ECU is set up for an automatic. You could change over the tranny, but you'd have to get a new ECU. From what I have been told by a tranny shop it is not easy.

You'd have to buy a manual tranny from somewhere and the clutch, pedal and stuff for that. All that is going to cost as much as a rebuild already. Then you'll have to install it all(PAIN IN THE ASS).

That's just one opinion though.

Ok since you have a 91 you won't need to mess with the ECU thankfully. However, you will have to plug up the vacuum lines that run from the modulator thingy on the tranny, also you will need to do something with the electric O/D wiring going into the tranny.

How much mechanical experience do you have?

You don't have to worry about the OD stuff. Just tuck it out of the way.

The ECU doesn't need to be touched either.

The only wiring you will need to take care of is the Neutral Safety Switch and reverse lights.

I've done this swap before and it's not hard at all.

I don't remember the wiring for the NSS though. It's been a while and I no longer have the vehicle.

Thanks
The work will be done by my mechanic.
I'm assuming I'll have less trouble in the long run with the standard (33" tires, towing)
I figure I'll pick up a mile or two a gallon as well, not to mention being able to pop start it when my starter goes.

If this is a 92 model year cahnge the ECU issue?
thanks again

\JB

I don't think you have an issue with the ECU until you get into the model years where Control Trac was introduced. I had a '92 Sport with a 5 speed, and I know the tranny was not attached to the ecu in that model.

It's going to cost you a few dollars. I did it to my 97 and i'm glad i did. It did give me about 2 MPG also. And some power. If you want to look at some of the parts you are going to need then look down at my signature and click on the link.

Happy trails!!

It's really not as hard as you would think it would be....

Plus your getting someone else to do it, and money wise it shouldn;t cost you any more to do the swap compared to rebuilding that money pit of a tranny you have now.

go 5spd all the way, it's going to cost more but you got my vote. the stick is more fun to drive and it will make you faster and stronger, naturally.

Wow!
thanks for all the info and links.

One more question.

What year tranny can I use? Are there any differences or is any year better than another?
thanks again!!!

If you found a 5spd Explorer at the wrecker you can grab the jumper harness from that so you don't have to mess with the wiring. I just found that I don't have to mess with my tranny wiring at all with my 5.0L/AODW conversion because the tranny wiring is nothing more than a jumper harness on the drivers side that also goes to the water temp, oil press and low oil sensors.

I've been thinking about he same conversion. I'm on my 5th auto tranny and its going. What about all of the linkage for the cutch as far as the pedals and master cylinder. Also are the shafts all the same I have a 91. Just bolt up the 5 speed? If thats the case it shouldnt be that hard. It would be cool if someone who has done it would do a write up. Robbie

I'm not sure about all the specs for a 91, but everything should be the same and bolt right up. There is no linkage because it is hydraulic. I didn't have a write up when i did mine, i just took some time and wrote down what i needed to do, if you just think about it then you'll pretty much figure out what you need to do. It isn't real hard, just gotta have patientance!!

Happy trails!!

Back