Auto to Manual swap DONE.. No 4lo! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto to Manual swap DONE.. No 4lo!

91STR8AXLE

Reaction score
City, State
Enumclaw, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Yes, I read thru the nearly 200 posts regarding the Auto to Manual swap.

Heres the deal. Its a 91 XLT, I swapped the computer, the tranny wiring, obviously the pedals etc.

I cannot get the thing to go into 4-low. It will go into 4-hi and back to 2wd no problem. I did also change the t-case motor out with another one that is known to be good and the same thing happens. No 4-Low!

So.... What could this possibly be? I have tried to put the auto shifter (still in the truck for the time being) in park, neutral, etc.. No love there either.

What am I missing? Truck runs great otherwise.

Please, help me!

Chad

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bypass the nutral safety swich. to go in to 4 low it needs to be in nutral with your foot on the brake.

how did you do the wireing for the tranny. If you went from auto to man. like i did i just make a switch on my dash so i could put it in 4low with out being on the breaks or anything. just push and go.
Its the netural saftey switch like bikeboarder said. I can give more info if you need it.

How i did the wiring...

I have a complete donor vehicle of the same year (1991)

We took the harness that came off of the manual explorer and moved it to my (used to be auto.) It directly plugged into the plugs on the driver side inner fender. Hooked up to the oil level sensor and good to go there.

The computer was swapped as well. So would the neutral safety switch still be there since I swapped the harness from the manual truck?

I appreciate your help guys! Thanks

Chad

how did you do the wireing for the tranny. If you went from auto to man. like i did i just make a switch on my dash so i could put it in 4low with out being on the breaks or anything. just push and go.
Its the netural saftey switch like bikeboarder said. I can give more info if you need it.

Ok so do you know where the neutral safety switch is on the Manual tranny? I am lost as to what is going on here.

Thanks!

Ok so do you know where the neutral safety switch is on the Manual tranny? I am lost as to what is going on here.

Thanks!

This is the prob with these swaps if you didnt swap the computer and wireing harness from the 5speed truck.

The neutral saftey switch for the 5speed is in the clutch pedal assimbly. I will try tomm to get some pictures of what i did to make the auto computer think that it is in neutral. It is really easy to do and you only need to add two wires and it is ultra simple. I am putting my third member back in tomm so tomm around two or three i will get out the camera and get some pic up for you.

This is the prob with these swaps if you didnt swap the computer and wireing harness from the 5speed truck.

The neutral saftey switch for the 5speed is in the clutch pedal assimbly. I will try tomm to get some pictures of what i did to make the auto computer think that it is in neutral. It is really easy to do and you only need to add two wires and it is ultra simple. I am putting my third member back in tomm so tomm around two or three i will get out the camera and get some pic up for you.

Okay but I swapped the manual computer in from the donor vehicle as well as the harness that goes to the transmission. Its all swapped.

Still interested in your idea however. Please show me.

oh well. i didnt swap the computer and stuff. I still have the auto tranny wires on mine but i have a switch wired up on there.

Did you put the neutral switch on the clutch pedal?

I have the clutch switch installed on the clutch pedal. The truck starts up and runs fine. Wont start unless the clutch is pushed in. I am assuming that part is working good.. ??? I'm at a loss.

Can you show me anyways what you did to wire up the switch you are speaking of? I may be able to at least find that wires at the plugs on the fenderwell and trick it into thinking its in neutral.

Thanks so much!

I had the same type of problem a while ago.. With the 700r4 swap I had to use the neutral switch in the B&M shifter to tell the transfer case it was ok to go into low range. That switch (on the shifter) died w/in 6 months. After that I just took the wires that went to the switch and shorted them together. Now I can shift into 4x4 low. Of course I could attempt to shift it into low while moving, but that would be bad..

I can't remember where the wire was, other than it was a pair of wires that went to the a4ld (drivers side) that I extended.

~Mark

Any way you could explain this better for me? I know it's been a really long time now, almost 10 years, but I'm having this issue currently

Back