Auto to Manual swap!! Need Advice

mp5sdhew

Reaction score
City, State
independence MO.
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Hello every one!

I have a 1994 XLT with a auto transmission and i plan on trying to swap over a Manual transmission from a complete 91 XL with a blown engine. I would like to know if their are anything i need to watch out for or do befor I start (like pilot hole depth on the crank shaft If they are compatible). Any help or directions to other threads on the subject would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are some differences from a 91-94. Sensors & EGR. From what I've read you should look for a 93-94 X donor. You will need the ECU from a 93-94 manual X.

Interesting as i was considering also of changing over to a manual tranny in my 1993 and you posted great info "Jason94sport" and if i ever do this change i will look for a 1993 manual tranny and ECU. I wonder how much this will cost to this as if it is like Over a $1000.00... hahaha forget it.

Swap Complete

I have swaped the trannys over the the last three weeks and it's all in. The wiring on the other hand is not done. I'm looking for a 93/94 man. transmission wiring harrness and the ECU. Any one that can point me in the right direction would be great. Other then that i have been using the wiring harrness out of the 91 and have been driving it a little. But the oil pressure gauge, 4 low, reverse lights do not work.

You will have to wire the reverse lights yourself and the same for the nuetral switch on the manual tranny to get 4-lo to work. And you could have used your old ecu until you find a manual one.... at least your oil pressure gauge would work

You don't "need" the manual ECU.. You can either wire in the old solenoids from the a4ld and zip tie them up.. OR just put in 33 ohm resistors on the wires that used to go into the transmission and the ECU will still think you have the a4ld transmission installed.

I've "heard" that the auto trans and manual trans had different timing curves, but I have need been able to verify it (that it exists or that it matters)

~Mark

Thanks Guys! Does any one have some pics for wiring up the revers light and neutral switches up and also the resistors just to give me a head start i can figger it out with no problem but i just havent been able to fine any extra time to get to it.

For the resistors, just find the 3 wires that used to go to the solenoids.. There is a Red (common 12v) and I belive a purple and an orange wire..

You need to put a 33 ohm resistor (actually, something between 26 and 40 ohms) between the red and each of the other two wires.. The circuit will look like the letter Y, with the bottom leg going to the red and then a resistor to each other wire..

If it doesn't make sense I can try to take a pic.

~Mark

I havent wired up my reverse lights yet either but i have a little time because we dont have to go through emmissions or anything here and i'm still using the auto computer until i can find a manual one... Wait do you want to sell me your 91 manual computer when you find one for your year model or I know there is a manual 94 sport at my local junkyard and i could get that computer for you and we trade.

Maniak I heard the same thing about the timing being different but I've only heard a few topics on it

Thanks! I can get it figgered out.

brackets for the clutch is gonna a pain, the electronics will be changed, but that's already been said.

If you like to swap ECU's i'd be mor then to happy to do it. If u can get the transmission wiring harnesses i'll can trade for that as well

Then would you be able to take a transmission from a 2.9 and bolt it up to a 4.0?

Yea you can interchange transmissions as long as you make sure its a M5OD from a 2.9 which are pretty rare because most of the 2.9 escpecially the 4wds are mitsubishi's which I think will require crossmember and/or driveshaft modifications.

I am actually in the process of swapping a '94 Explorer A4LD transmission into my '91 M5 Explorer. Luckily, I have the complete '94 Explorer sitting next to the '91 in my driveway.

So far, I've swapped pedal assemblies, computers, and steering columns. The manual trans. pedals were kind of a PITA.

Rob

If you need help with the wiring, I might be able to assist from afar. I have the OEM wiring diagrams for the 1992 and 1994 X, as well as the EVTM for the 1992.

I must say that they have been immensely helpful in my quest to Retrofit 1994 4WABS into 1992 Explorer

I have just 2 more connections to make in the cabin, along with pulling the RABS HCU and the RABS Pump out of it.

How did you wire up your 4-lo after the swap?

I haven't done it yet but I need to before I can sell it. Any help would be appreciated. I'm interested in the 33 ohm resistor trick that Mark described but I'm having a hard time imagining what he's talking about.

Rob

I need to make a new resister pack (I used too low of wattage resisters and they got too warm and died)..

I got some 5 watt 33 ohm resisters, now I just need some time and a sunny day..

What I do is find the 3 wires that go to the transmission for the TCC and 3/4 solenoid. Its 3 wires.. A common 12V wire and then two wires (one for TCC control and one for 3/4 control). I put a 33 ohm resister between the common 12V wire and the TCC control wire. I then do the same thing for the 3/4 control wire.

This way the ECU thinks the solenoids are still there (you could also just plug in the solenoids and tape them up)

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back