AUTO to MANUAL Transmission

maverick91

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Hello everybody!

I am new to forum and of course I already have a question!

Recently swapped a ranger 5 speed into my auto 1999 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC.
With that being said the ECM is the original. Now when I drive it the truck "bucks" (engine power/acceleration stops and comes right back within a split second) as if the truck is trying to shift the automatic even though it is not there anymore. This has not (to my knowledge) had any adverse effects on the truck. It is just REALLY annoying to drive.
What do you guys think? I thought, and was told, that swapping in an ECM from a manual SOHC explorer of same year would fix the problem. Or possibly a Ranger with a manual SOHC would also do the trick. The problem is that I cannot find an ECM in the junkyard. Would anyone happen to know the proper part number so that I can just buy the ECM from a parts store?

Thanks everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Min dose to have yet to figure it out.

"manual SOHC " no such thing. As far as I know but I'm no expert.

Via Wikipedia

Powertrain
Engine
4.0 L Cologne OHV "Pushrod" V-6 (1995-2001)
4.0 L Cologne SOHC V-6 (1997-2003)
5.0 L Windsor OHV V-8 (1996-2001)
Transmission
5-speed M5OD-R1 manual (4.0 L OHV)
5-speed M5OD-R1HD (4.0 L SOHC)
4-speed 4R55E automatic (4.0 L 1995-1996)
4-speed 4R70W automatic (V-8 models)
5-speed 5R55E automatic (4.0 L 1997-2001)

Problem fixed..kind of

So I found a 1996-2001 ford explorer OHV manual transmission at the junkyard. I pulled the ECM and put it in my explorer. Even though mine is a SOHC the bucking problem is now fixed! The computer no longer reads the automatic transmission and therefore doesn't try to shift on its own. I'm so glad this worked and only cost me about 15$ and an hour at u pull and pay!

Via Wikipedia

Powertrain
Engine
4.0 L Cologne OHV "Pushrod" V-6 (1995-2001)
4.0 L Cologne SOHC V-6 (1997-2003)
5.0 L Windsor OHV V-8 (1996-2001)
Transmission
5-speed M5OD-R1 manual (4.0 L OHV)
5-speed M5OD-R1HD (4.0 L SOHC)
4-speed 4R55E automatic (4.0 L 1995-1996)
4-speed 4R70W automatic (V-8 models)
5-speed 5R55E automatic (4.0 L 1997-2001)

What's that fitted to?

So I found a 1996-2001 ford explorer OHV manual transmission at the junkyard. I pulled the ECM and put it in my explorer. Even though mine is a SOHC the bucking problem is now fixed! The computer no longer reads the automatic transmission and therefore doesn't try to shift on its own. I'm so glad this worked and only cost me about 15$ and an hour at u pull and pay!

I'm surprised the ECM for a OHV works on a SOHC.

Hey guys,

Quick update:
1. Everything is in fact in working order now (have taken her on some long wheeling trips without issue).
2. I thought the ECM wasn't working because I had a stalling problem at idle and when coming off of a load (driving 40mph then pushing in clutch to downshift for a turn the EX would want to stall)
3. Was an IACV idle air control valve issue or however you say it, so swapped it and hasn't given me any issues since!

Interesting swap!!!

I do have 1 question for you though; what did you have to do about the PATS system or did the manual ECM not have that security system built-in???

I have a 99 sport that would love to be a manual shifted Explorer but stopped the swap because of the PATS system...I would really love to know what you had to change to make it work..

Thanks....

When I plugged in the manual ECM and started the car it started just fine. However the red "security" light, on the dash, came on and started blinking. This lasts for a few minutes and then goes away. Every time I start up the truck the same thing happens. Hasn't bothered me much as I also have the engine light on, 4x4 low, 4x4 high, ABS.
Mostly due to the SAS, the transmission swap, and going to a manual 4x4 shifter.

Back