• Register Today It's free!

Auto Tranny in 2nd Gen Ex

Skydmark1

Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mountaineer
I'm going to buy an explorer within a couple months (I used to own a 92 Ex 4X4) and I'm gonna go with a 95-98 4X4 preferably 2 door XL or Sport. I would rather have a Stick but it seems most of them around here are auto tranny. I guess if the price is right and it's a nice truck I wouldn't mind having the auto. My question is, are there any known problems to watch out for on the auto trans? Whether it be something that may happen in the future or something I should look for when test driving. I would appreciate the input to help me make a decision. I don't know why the 5-spd tranny is so rare, but they seem very hard to find around here :mad:

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i try to find a stick, but as you said you can't find them.

i know that 2 door explorer come only with the 4.0 v6 which the tranny is pretty weak.

my suggest is if you get automatic go for a 4 door explorer with the 5.0 v8 engine with the much reliable transmission, much more power and about the same mileage as the 4.0 v6.

ford made progresse with their tranny, but still the 5r55e transmissions that came only with the 4.0 v6 engine are still weak.

the only bad is the v8 engine came only as a 2wd and AWD and only the v6 came with the true 4wd, but you can put a transfer case and make it 4wd if you really need it.

good luck

Ya, I'd really prefer the 4.0, I've had that motor before in a 92 and I really liked it. Plus I do prefer to have true 4X4, in fact I don't really dig the idea of not having true 2wd either but I can learn to deal with that. I'm sure I'll end up with an auto so hopefully I don't have many problems......I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for that coveted 5spd though ;)

did you ever drive a v8? if not you have to before you get your final decition and you can any time get a transfer case and convert AWD to true 4wd.

if you get a 4.0 then make sure that the color in the tranny is clean and get as low miles explorer as you can find.

if is a high mileage get it only if it has a rebuilt transmission.(that was my case with my explorer)

by the way you had a 4.0 ohv in your 92, but after 97 ford came up with the crappy 4.0 sohc motor, which have more power than the ohv which is really close to the v8, but it has too many problems with the timming chains.

just make sure that you are getting something to last.

Thanks for the tips....I'll be sure to stay away from the SOHC 4.0. I'm hoping to find a 96 anyway....that's my target year.....2 dr sport and I'd love to have the Manual tranny but we'll see. If I get the chance I'll definetly take the 5.0 V8 for a drive....but I don't like the looks of the 4dr as much....still if it wowed me I'd go for it, except for the whole AWD thing....I really want 4X4

i try to find a stick, but as you said you can't find them.

i know that 2 door explorer come only with the 4.0 v6 which the tranny is pretty weak.

my suggest is if you get automatic go for a 4 door explorer with the 5.0 v8 engine with the much reliable transmission, much more power and about the same mileage as the 4.0 v6.

ford made progresse with their tranny, but still the 5r55e transmissions that came only with the 4.0 v6 engine are still weak.

the only bad is the v8 engine came only as a 2wd and AWD and only the v6 came with the true 4wd, but you can put a transfer case and make it 4wd if you really need it.

good luck

Ok so I've been doing some research because this tranny thing is bothering me. What I gather is the A4LD tranny that came in 91-94 X's is pretty much junk, but the 4R55E tranny in the 95-97 is a bit more rugged although still has it's problems. The 5R55E came witht he V8 and was a heavier duty version of the 4R55E capable of handling more ponies. In 98 Ford dumped the 4R55E in favor of a much more reliable 4R70W.

SOOOOOO, I'm not gonna worry to much about it...and if I go with an Auto I'm gonna try to get one with fairly low miles. Sounds like if the 4r55e went I could swap in a 4r70w, but I dunno how the computer would handle it

Sounds like you've made up your mind....THAT'S GOOD.

Though, it had me thinking:

So, how much of an auto trans is, "good enough?"

I mean......at what point would YOU say an automatic trans passes your reliability test? Yes, some have very bad reputations (like the 1st Gen Explorers). And, no doubt most any auto trans, has a horry story (by some owner somewhere).

Other than that.......perhaps, ONLY a manual trans will do?

But, even the 1st Gens w/ the manual had problems. The newer Gens have a better manual.....but, by how much.......and is it, "enough for you."

And......you're buying a USED vehicle........so, how can you KNOW that the old owner, even did any maintenance or abused his trans???

Aloha, Mark

PS.....As for the lack of manual trans equipped vehicles........well, both GM and FORD have realized that the market is w/ the automatic trans equipped vehicles......the standard transmission vehicle is quickly becoming a "special order."

The V-8 has its own batch of issues with the transfer case (on the AWD, of course... 2wd is unaffected) The manual trans was never offered in a second-gen unless you got the 4.0 OHV. The 4R55E and 5R55E are as reliable an auto trans as I've ever owned. With 130k on the odometer, and regular fluid and filter changes, mine has never missed a beat save for when the TPS died on it (it was still new at the time).

FWIW, I have a 98, 4.0 SOHC, auto trans with almost 130k on the odometer. Since they replaced the timing chain tensioners under warranty at 25,000 miles, I've had nary a problem with it outside of regular maintenance issues. In fact, although mine is a certified lemon (another story for another time) the transmission is the one thing on the vehicle that has yet to let me down. (knocking on wood)

-Joe

'98 XLT 4.0 shifting problems

I have a '98 Explorer 4dr 4.0 w/126k miles. Very pleased w/truck but recently the shift from 2nd to 3rd is not as smooth as it used to be. Also, when slowing down and the tranny goes into 1st gear it it not smooth either.

After reading several threads it appears I may have a valve body problem. I had it briefly checked out by a local Aamco and they said the fluid looks great and smells good. He mentioned I might have a motor mount problem though. He wants me to come in for a more thourough inspection (free of charge) and give me recommendations.

I plan to do this soon but wanted to see if anyone has some advice or has experienced this.

my 2000 XLT SOHC had just over 135000 on it. I have never done anything other than regular mainenace on it. It is getting little quirky in its advanced mileage but every car I have ever owned has. The tranny gives a 2nd gear out of sync error about once a month, I do only light street driving with my new job so I am just babying it until the throttle body goes out. When you buy a used car you get a good deal for a reason, the vehicle is already "enjoyed to death". Every vehicle I have ever owned is used, they come with personalities.

They can also be a source of pride or a hobby. they can be loved like a family member and hated like a tick...sucking the life out of you.

So do your research and buy the vehicle you are comfortable with. We all have differeing opinions but we all love to tinker with our X's.

my 98 explorer auto drives 100metres then i have no gears,i have to switch off and then give it another crack and then same story another 100 metres and no gears,can anyone tell what this sounds like

Back