• Register Today It's free!

Tranny troubles

stonerboys

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
Hey guys I have a 99 4.0 explorer sport with the auto trans and its acting up. The tranny is starting to slip between shifting gears and sometimes it wont move unless you take it up to 5000 rpms, and the OD light has been flashing in it. I found a used tranny for $75 its a 5r55e. I'm guessing all of the trannys in these are the same? Mine has the 4.0 OHV and the auto tranny with 4x4 auto, high, and low. The tranny I'm looking to buy is out of a 2000 with the same motor so it should be the same right? The guy says it shifts fine and was working before he pulled it out (head gasket popped in the explorer it was in) My main questions are are these trannys the same in all of them, if not how do you identify what tranny is in your explorer, and most importantly...Is there a way to tell if the tranny is any good once it is out of the vehicle without ripping it apart or taking the pan off? I mean for $75 im not worried too much about it I would just like to know if there is a way to tell before I go and look at it tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Remove pan and inspect fluid. No burnt smell and metal particles maybe OK the trans should have a magnet in the pan that has a black goo on it to help catch metal if this is clean with out the goo I would think someone is trying to cover something. Why don't you have your trans hooked up to a scanner I would think you could rebuild yours. Might even be a shift solenoid or torque converter. If you do get other trans make sure you get the torque converter. I would also replace the pump seal in the trans going in. Pm me your Vin I can see what trans you have. I do believe they are same trans but that will clarify for sure I'm a ford tech so I will be running Vin through fmcdealer.

On the inner edge of your drivers door has the manufacture tag which will tell you which transmission you have as well as a bunch of other thing as you decode it, available in this Forum someplace.

which transmission do i have

Remove pan and inspect fluid. No burnt smell and metal particles maybe OK the trans should have a magnet in the pan that has a black goo on it to help catch metal if this is clean with out the goo I would think someone is trying to cover something. Why don't you have your trans hooked up to a scanner I would think you could rebuild yours. Might even be a shift solenoid or torque converter. If you do get other trans make sure you get the torque converter. I would also replace the pump seal in the trans going in. Pm me your Vin I can see what trans you have. I do believe they are same trans but that will clarify for sure I'm a ford tech so I will be running Vin through fmcdealer.

my name is jamie i have a 1999 ford explorer sport vin#1fmzu24e8xua06852 can you tell me which transmission do i have

can you tell me which transmission do i have 1999 ford explorer sport vin#1FMZU24E8XUA06852

He could just look at the tag in on the inner edge of his drivers door. would have saved time.

OP,
I'm not recommending to ignore it, but you would be surprised how badly these transmissions will act once your fluid starts to break down.

I would start with counting the number of flashes on the OD then googling for the diagnostic code. Alternatively, you can have someone with access to the extended ford codes pull the code from the OBD2 port. You can try Autozone, but I doubt they can pull it and you run the risk that they will reset the diagnostic codes.

These cars are smart and a simple solenoid failure can cause your problem. Unfortunately so can a broken band, but the computer should help you figure out which without having to pull the transmission. If it's a solenoid, you can change those without pulling the trans out.

5R55E transmission.

Jaime yours is the 5r44e/5r55e so basicall y the 5r55e. Did notice some warranty work done on the teams lines at 13446 miles at prestige ford. Back in 1999

Back