• Register Today It's free!

Auto Zone Shackles

big351bronc

Reaction score
City, State
St. Simons Island, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Has anyone ever tried using the shackles you can buy at Auto Zone, Advance, etc. on their explorer? They are pretty cheap (which might mean pretty weak) but I have seen them on a few Jeeps around here. Anyone think it would be worth it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would advise against them, i tihnk some around her run them, but msot would advise against it and tell you to save up and buy the warrior ones ( part # war153)

these can be had for around 55-65$ shipped

Sure the autozone ones will work, but arent nearly as strong as these warrior ones

PEACE

Also your Signiture is 2 lines too long, it is suppose to be a MX of 6 lines

I believe Lizardtrac still runs autozone shackles.. Their okay but I don't like the fact they lack a center brace.. I had a set fabricated by someone that looks just like the AZ brand but just a lil thicker..

I like the concept of "non center braced" shackles. They simply make more sense for flex.

I wish the Autozone ones were a bit thicker though.

Originally posted by Robb
I like the concept of "non center braced" shackles. They simply make more sense for flex.

I wish the Autozone ones were a bit thicker though.

Can you expand on this? i odnt know alot about Flex and what factors plays into it, but i oculd see the Autozone ones screwing up if they tried to flex to much with out that brace in there......

I have some sitting in the back of my car that I have already cut to lenght, just need to get the energy to take off my hitch and all that crap so I can install them.

Thanks.

Robb- Do you think I should try it? I dont do too much hard offroading, no major mud or rocks. I just mess around a lot, and want some extra height (along with the aal).

Its a dodge so its still crap..

So if I am going to install these shackles (or Warrior shackles) will I need to take the tow package off? Is there anything else that I would need to take off?

Originally posted by big351bronc
So if I am going to install these shackles (or Warrior shackles) will I need to take the tow package off? Is there anything else that I would need to take off?

You may need to take off the tow package to get to the shackles since the original shackles go in from the the middle to the outside..

he must have to on his DOG..but on explorer's there's no need to take your hitch off to install

I'm pretty sure the autozone shackles have more than one set of holes in them. So if you just wanted them beefier how about just buying two sets and a few shorts bolts and bolting a couple pair together. Surely there is enough extra thread on the shackle bolts to allow for this. This would make them $30 instead of $15 but thats still half the price of the warriors. Hey, two is always better than one... :p

Originally posted by Ak LTD Xplorer
he must have to on his DOG..but on explorer's there's no need to take your hitch off to install

wrong, some people have had to take theirs off, it just depends on the type of hitch.

i have them on my ex. i just put them over the factory shackles and got a bolt and a pipe from home depot to make a center support. ours is 2wd so i'm sure it will last forever the way it is set up.

I have them on my truck. They do not have the center brace like the warriors but they are a good bit strong. We measusred them against the warrior shackles and they are about half an inch longer than the warriors.

I also have them. They are almost twice as thick as the stockers. Someone posted a pick of the Warior ones and I think the only diff was the center piece. So if the stock ones are good the AZ ones are Better

The only thing is that the stockers are boxed in, these are not. All this talk makes me want to go take off my hitch and put the shackles on....damn rain.:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run the Pep Boys version ($15) and have had no problems but, yes I wish they were thicker, and with a cross brace, which I can weld on myself, I just haven't had the time to do it.

And yes I'm pretty rough on my rig.

Back