2014 Ford Explorer Liftgate Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2014 Ford Explorer Liftgate Issues

nthiessen

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Limited 4WD
My 2014 Ford Explorer will open if I push the liftgate button inside the vehicle or on my fob but not if I try to push the button on the outside. The liftgate will open but not lift. I cannot lift it manually either. I tried disabling the automatic liftgate feature, and I am still unable to lift it manually.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you using the word "open" with two different meanings? First it seems like you use the word open to mean it completes opening but then you state it "will open but not lift".

Is it correct that the door unlatches when you press any of the 3 buttons mentioned, and it lifts if the inside or fob button is pressed, but not if the lifegate button is pressed?

When you cannot lift it manually either, are you certain it is fully unlatched? Does it seem to be unlatched and the lift motor in a bind, or not fully unlatched?

The Workshop Manual lists this procedure to reinitialize the liftgate, quote:

Repairs/adjustments have been made to the power liftgate rod, power liftgate motor, liftgate hinges or liftgate striker​
If any of these conditions has occurred, the power liftgate must be reinitialized.​
NOTE: Battery power must be removed from the LTM for 20 seconds before the LTM will enter the initialization mode.​
Disconnect the battery or remove the LTM fuse(s).​
Wait 20 seconds and reconnect the battery or reinstall the LTM fuse(s).​
If liftgate is not already in the fully closed position, manually close and fully latch the power liftgate.​
NOTE: Make sure the power liftgate system is turned ON in the message center before performing this step.​
NOTE: If the power liftgate does not open during this step, Refer to Power Liftgate to diagnose the inoperative power liftgate.​
Power open the power liftgate by using the RKE transmitter or instrument panel control switch.​
Once the power liftgate is fully open, close the power liftgate by using the RKE transmitter or instrument panel control switch.​
It also has the following troubleshooting, PDF attached. If it refers to things not self contained in this PDF, get the entire '14 Workshop Manual linked below in my sig.​
The DTCs it lists, require having a scan tool capable of Ford specific codes (more than just an OBD2 scanner) and trying to read them when the fault occurs, or maybe it has stored them after as well, IDK.​

Attachments

• 2014 Liftgate.pdf
    343.4 KB · Views: 48

My husband did change the power strut out within the last year.

The door unlatches when I press the inside or fob button is pressed.

When you cannot lift it manually either, are you certain it is fully unlatched? Yes Does it seem to be unlatched and the lift motor in a bind, or not fully unlatched? It is fully unlatched and seems like lift motor is in a bind.

My husband did change the power strut out within the last year.

The door unlatches when I press the inside or fob button is pressed.

When you cannot lift it manually either, are you certain it is fully unlatched? Yes Does it seem to be unlatched and the lift motor in a bind, or not fully unlatched? It is fully unlatched and seems like lift motor is in a bind.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
So what I gather from your 2nd post is that all the liftgate does is unlatch/unlock. it does not open.
Sounds like something is binding. Once unlocked, you should be able to easily lift it to the fully open position.

Peter

Are you using the word "open" with two different meanings? First it seems like you use the word open to mean it completes opening but then you state it "will open but not lift".

Is it correct that the door unlatches when you press any of the 3 buttons mentioned, and it lifts if the inside or fob button is pressed, but not if the lifegate button is pressed?

When you cannot lift it manually either, are you certain it is fully unlatched? Does it seem to be unlatched and the lift motor in a bind, or not fully unlatched?

The Workshop Manual lists this procedure to reinitialize the liftgate, quote:

It also has the following troubleshooting, PDF attached. If it refers to things not self contained in this PDF, get the entire '14 Workshop Manual linked below in my sig.​
The DTCs it lists, require having a scan tool capable of Ford specific codes (more than just an OBD2 scanner) and trying to read them when the fault occurs, or maybe it has stored them after as well, IDK.​
It unlatches completely now when I use the fob, the inside button, or the button on the outside of the liftgate, but it will not lift.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
So what I gather from your 2nd post is that all the liftgate does is unlatch/unlock. it does not open.
Sounds like something is binding. Once unlocked, you should be able to easily lift it to the fully open position.

Peter
It unlatches and partially pops up, but it does not lift to the fully open position, and I cannot open it manually.

It's bad form to wait a month, now I'm supposed to re-read the topic to remember what's happened so far?

Okay, it looks like I gave you some troubleshooting steps but you didn't even tell us if you followed them.

Unsubscribed.

It unlatches and partially pops up, but it does not lift to the fully open position, and I cannot open it manually.
How far does it actually open when you mention it doesn't fully open. So once it is in the partially open position if you cannot open it all the way sthen I would say that something is binding. Perhaps the support strut? Can you power close it from the partially open position?

Peter

How far does it actually open when you mention it doesn't fully open. So once it is in the partially open position if you cannot open it all the way sthen I would say that something is binding. Perhaps the support strut? Can you power close it from the partially open position?

Peter
It unlatches to about an inch as it does its three chimes. I can manually lift it to about 3 inches before it significantly resists. I cannot power close from the partially open position. It seems that now I can only get it to successfully unlatch using the outside button on the liftgate itself.

The liftgate should not chime when opening. The 3 chimes should only sound when closing, as a warning. I would say that you have a problem with either the power actuator (motor) that you previously replaced or the support strut. I'm beginning to think this is going to require a dealer visit or a visit to another garage. There isn't much more that I can suggest other than perhaps disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes, but I doubt that would help. You would lose some saved memory settings do that. Good luck.

Peter

Back