Automatic Navigation Map Updates - bs or not? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic Navigation Map Updates - bs or not?

Hi, Everyone!

I see a lot of conversation about the new SD cards.Coming with the release of the Performance Upgrade, the maps will be powered by Telenav with map data from NAVTEQ. At this time, we don't have any set price for future SD card updates.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

Rebecca

Rebecca, does this mean the actual Nav system will work the same with the same programming screens and only the map data is different OR is the whole nav system (like entering an address) going to be different with the January performance upgrade?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How the data updates will happen in the future is to be seen. Perhaps they will allow us to plug the SD card into a computer and do a download for free.

You can bet it won't be free. My guess is updates will be in the $200 - $300 range.

Rebecca, does this mean the actual Nav system will work the same with the same programming screens and only the map data is different OR is the whole nav system (like entering an address) going to be different with the January performance upgrade?

I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I'm hoping for a GUI upgrade but figuring it will be just different maps.

The navigation portion of the system is a part of the Performance Upgrade along with the map data. I can't speculate on what's being changed and enhanced though.

The Performance Upgrade will be released in the first quarter of next year, concurrent with the 2013 Taurus, Flex, and Escape. It will not be released in January.

Rebecca

The navigation portion of the system is a part of the Performance Upgrade along with the map data. I can't speculate on what's being changed and enhanced though.

The Performance Upgrade will be released in the first quarter of next year; concurrent with the 2013 Taurus, Flex, and Escape. It will not be released in January.

Rebecca

I do hope the nav system is significantly changed with the Performance Upgrade. Below is the JD Power survey of 2011 car nav systems, the Explorer, Edge and MKX are way at the bottom of the list. Ford can do better. The Expedition scores much better and I think it has an older system.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...t-complicated-dodge-charger-hyundai-genesis/1

Oh sigh

Rebecca,
Thanks for keeping us in the loop! While disappointed it won't be out in January at least now I won't be checking the forum/mailbox every day in January expecting the good news.

-Randy

February 1st? ;)

Leave it to you, calb! lol :p:

I do hope the nav system is significantly changed with the Performance Upgrade. Below is the JD Power survey of 2011 car nav systems, the Explorer, Edge and MKX are way at the bottom of the list. Ford can do better. The Expedition scores much better and I think it has an older system.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...t-complicated-dodge-charger-hyundai-genesis/1

I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Rebecca,
Thanks for keeping us in the loop! While disappointed it won't be out in January at least now I won't be checking the forum/mailbox every day in January expecting the good news.

-Randy

It's my pleasure :) Once I get more information I'll be sure to post it!

Rebecca

Definition of "First Quarter of 2012"

Customer: January 1st

Manufacturer: March 31st

(prior to unforseen delays that push release back until 3rd quarter...)

:D

Isn't this great.

I would think that after i spent $43,000 for a new ford with an outdated SD card, that when ford came out with an updated version they would give it to us free. Wife has 2012 kia sportage with sat updates. Never again ford.

Leave it to you, calb! lol :p:

I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

It's my pleasure :) Once I get more information I'll be sure to post it!

Rebecca

Thanks Rebecca for responding to our questions and concerns!

I would think that after i spent $43,000 for a new ford with an outdated SD card, that when ford came out with an updated version they would give it to us free. Wife has 2012 kia sportage with sat updates. Never again ford.

Well...it isn't a sat update, but it is a free update. Ford will be mailing out a USB stick with the update and a new SD card for Nav, again, for free.

cowboyearl -

The map update and the Performance Upgrade will both be free.

Thanks Rebecca for responding to our questions and concerns!

:) You're welcome, esandye!

Well...it isn't a sat update, but it is a free update. Ford will be mailing out a USB stick with the update and a new SD card for Nav, again, for free.

Thanks, Tongo!

Rebecca

Thanks so much.

Thanks, Rebecca
Its good to know ford is doing the right thing for its customers. I've been a for man for over 50 years. I've had probably 30 over my life time.

Cowboyearl

Thanks, Rebecca
Its good to know ford is doing the right thing for its customers. I've been a for man for over 50 years. I've had probably 30 over my life time.

Cowboyearl

:) Anytime, Cowboyearl!

Back