Automatic transmission oil pan with a drain plug. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Automatic transmission oil pan with a drain plug.

2000co

Reaction score
City, State
Englewood, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Mountaineer V6 AWD
Anyone know where i can buy automatic trany oil pan with drain plug? It’s for 2000 XLT 4x4 V6 OHC.
I’m going to change fluid and filter and decided to add drain plug to make life easier.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pricey, anyone sell cheaper?

I like the drain plug idea but im worried it will leak.

Anyone try the oil pan you suggested on 2000 explorer sojc 4x4? I called the company and they were not sure if i have the clearance for it

They mentioned that there is a clearance issue on some vehicles since their pan is so deep. You could solder a 1/2 X 20 nut inside of the pan, and use a magnetic drain plug with a gasket. I've done this before, and I know that it doesn't leak like the drain plug kits. Check # 75 in my list of useful threads.

Thanks for the write up!

Can you direct me to how to write up for transmission oil and filter change for my truck? Also, what trany oil you recommend to use?

You have to remove the pan bolts, then drop the pan, and remove the gasket & filter. Be careful not to strip the aluminum case when you replace the pan bolts. A torque wrench is recommended, but an ordinary wrench could be used it you're careful. Don't use silicone on rubber gaskets. Mercon V ATF is the proper fluid to use.

Where did you bought the drain plug? Autozone selling one but im not sure if it's good

Sounds good, thanks
What filter and gasket you recomend? i call the dealer and they want 4 time more then Autozone. Is it ok to buy these parts at Autozone?

Don't get any cork gaskets. A rubber gasket is reusable, and doesn't need any silicone. The neoprene gaskets are good too, but you will need to apply a sealant such as Indian Head sealer or silicone. You could make your own gasket out of high temperature rubber gasket material from a plumbing supply. Check # 91 in my list of useful threads: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240437

I decided to go to drain plug and take it to a friend to weld it. Do you think I need to prime and paint the welding against rusting?

Thank you very much for all your help!!

I drop the pan and created a huge mess on the floor but i added the drain plug so next time it will be cleaner. Per the book i added 4 quart of new oil and I’m planning on draining it every time i do and oil change. I know it’s over kill but for $20 I don’t mind.

I use the magnetic plug

Back