Autoweek Article Explorer Express Handling Kit | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Autoweek Article Explorer Express Handling Kit

V8 Boatbuilder,

I would take a look at some other shocks than the stock Edelbrock IAS. I felt that they were no better than some Monroe's and pretty bouncy. When I put the Bilsteins on I knew I had the shock I want. Some maya argue with me--personal preference. The IASs just took too much road feel away. No the IASs for lowered Xs may be better but I'm not lowered. I've heard good things about Rancho and Monroe's new Reflex.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ross... thanks for the advice... the truck is riding on 4 rancho 9000xs and they are amazing

Originally posted by JOHN V.
from Warrior Products. It seems that it would be the hot tip. Enjoy improved handling during the week, then disconnect before you hit the trail.
John, I have the Front Warrior Quick disconnects on my Explorer and don't seem to have the noise problem other people are talking about. I really like them

I know that some have had mixed results on the Edelbrocks. I would like to get some feed back regarding off roading. I have them on my 1994 XLT. Feels great on the street and pretty forgiving on the fire roads etc. I do not do serious wheeling in that truck (wife's driver). I like to be able to make a good recommendation for offroaders as well as street types. Let me know what you all think.

John V.@ EE

I have used the Edelbrocks off-roading and they were very good at first, but after awhile they started to fade out on me going over washboard roads and such. They are a good shock if you don't do much off-roading. The Old Man Emu Nitro Chargers are a superior shock for offroading. They are built heavy duty and can withstand the abuse of off-roading without suffering from fade. I took my truck over a 30 mile stretch of washboard road, with the OME and the Edelbrocks to see what the difference was, and the OME's didn't fade on me once. It went the whole 30 miles. The Edelbrocks did not fair as well, they faded out after about 10 or so miles, and the rear end of the truck start jumping around. The Edelbrocks are a good shock, just not for serious off-roading. The Old Man Emu's are the shock for off-roading.

IAS SHOCKS

I have the eddlebrok IAS Gas shocks on my 98 sport. They are one of the best purchases I've ever made. It has an improved ride. No bouncing when slaming on the gas or brakes, better turns. These shocks are great on rode and off. I'm putting a set on my wrangler next.

Mark

I put the Edelbrock IAS shocks on my '98 XLT 5.0 last spring. Initially I liked them a lot, but they now feel almost as if they are already worn out. Maybe I've just gotten used to them, but my ride now feels less controlled and more bouncy to me than when I first installed them.

Anyone else have some long-term experience with these?

On the EE handling kit, they used blocks to lower the rear. How did they lower the front? Just adjust the torsion bars?

BB

Seperate prices total: 4 Shocks, $70.00 each= $280, Swaybar kit= $278.00= $558.00! What makes this kit $900.00? What am I missing?

Originally posted by BadBrad
How did they lower the front? Just adjust the torsion bars?
Yes and let her "settle".

I did notice the same thing with my Edelbrock. It doesn't have the same control as before. I can't wait for warmer weather to check underneath my truck to see maybe its something else that is wrong. You know what? It's exactly 2 months from today until SPRING TIME is here. . Whooooo-hooooo!!! :D

After two years and 45k miles, I am duming my Edelbrocks, They ride like poop now. I am going with Rancho 9000s.

I thought Rancho 9000s were design for lifted trucks. Anyways, why Rancho 9000s? Anything special about them?

I've heard good things about Bilsteins, so I am seriously considering switching to them. I'm also considering some rear air shocks since I do some occasional towing.

BB

The standard handling package:
Edelbrock Shocks & Sway Bars 95-97 $559.95
98-01 (98-03 Sport) $439.95

X-Spec Handling Package:
Lowering Kit.......................$ 169.95
Suspension Bumper Kit......$ 89.95
Sway Bar Kit 95-97............$ 289.95
Edelbrock Shocks F & R .....$ 279.80
Explorer X Decals...............$ 9.95
---------------------------------------------------
Total is purchased seperately $839.60

X-Spec Suspension Kit 95-97 4-door $809.95
X-Spec Suspension Kit 98-01 4-door $724.95

Well, they have a lifetime warranty. So I guess they will last your lifetime. The results will vary. We sell a lot of these. We do warranty a few from time to time. There are many customers that have had them for years with no problems. I can get you a new set if you want to go that route. There are no others that ride softer on a lowered Explorer. There will always be some kind of trade off with shocks on a lowered X. We still think Edelbrock are the best.

We would be glad to warranty those shocks for you.

Rick said:
The following was written by Jack Lobdell several years ago. He was a regular contributor to the site, but has since passed away. Jack always spoke very highly of the Edelbrock shocks and here is an excerpt from his write up

"I wanted a great off-road shock that would counter body roll and nose dive but not need adjusting all the time. Edelbrock didn't make the IAS for a lifted Explorer (and say they won't anytime soon), but they do now for a 4" lifted F150. I asked many questions and didn't get the answers I wanted. I was told they wouldn't work, wouldn't fit, etc. They ARE the right length and strength for a built Explorer and they FIT like a glove. At Interstate speeds or on the trail you can feel the IAS valve nip body roll in the bud, and it feels like you are riding on rails! Hit the brake hard and the nose stays even! "
Looks like he was talking about the 1980-96 F-150 with 4" lift (E) - 6307-6407?
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/ias_shocks_ford.html

Back