Explorer Express Handling Kit for the 91-94? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer Express Handling Kit for the 91-94?

4g4drb17

Reaction score
City, State
austin tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 4dr 5sp 98 mountaineer
the Autoweek Article Explorer Express Handling Kit shown in this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68894&highlight=handling
shows a kit for the 91-94 for 580$ but there is no such kit on the exlorer express web site http://explorerexpress.com/catalog/x-suspension.html what gives, is this kit no longer made? could i use the rear sway bar from the 95-97 kit on a 92?

i'm also open to other suggestions on how to make my 92 4dr 2wd 5sp handle well. i'm looking more for handling than a suspension drop, and i can handle slight ride harshness.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe Explorer Express stopped supporting the first gen Explorers. A mistake if you ask me... It's definately to soon to stop supporting the #1 SUV in America...

I can't say for certain, but I bet the 2nd gen rear sway bar would work. Give EE a call and ask for Dave Vanek. He should be able to answer your questions.

i was reading the explorer express Q&A and found this

Q. Do you have a lowering kit for for my 93 Explorer?
A. The early (90-94) Explorers can be lowered with Eibach lowering front spring and rear blocks. We tried this on our original 94 Explorer X. The ride quality was terrible and nothing we did would improve it. We don't recommend lowering early Explorers.

so now my question is whats the best way to improve early explorers handling, and do there rear sway bars work on first gens. thanks for reply rick, i will probably call later this week.

best way to improve the handling f a first gen? 2wd or 4x4?
Lowering a TTB truck (4x4) is not a good idea, you end up with some funky steering and axle shaft angles, the beams were designed with a certain ride height in mind.

Lowering a 2wd can be done using drop Ranger type beams.

To improve your handling however here is what I suggest (applies to 2 and 4wd)
Urethane bushings in the front and rear sway bars and links.
New shocks, I like rancho RSX or 9000 if you want to be able to adjust them, or good shocks of your choice.

Now the Explorer and Ranger used a few different sway bars over the years. Getting the largest solid bar you can fit will help fight body roll, especially when combined with the urethane bushings.

Also I still prefer rubber bushings in the radius arm ends, but urethane replacements work well too. A steering stabilizer, urethane transmission mount and a solid link on the drivers side engine mount can help with the feel of the truck too.

What we are basically doing here is getting your stock suspension back up to par using performance parts, this can bring back the great ride you are likely missing from worn parts.

there is a ton more you can do, but most important is to monitor your tire pressure and replace worn parts (tie rods, ball joints, etc)

I have a set of Chassis Tech lowering i-beams and rear leaf springs for sale if you're interested. They will lower your truck 3" front and rear, which will help out by lowering your center of gravity. With these installed, and the rest of my bushings upgraded to poly, my truck handled way better than ever before. The Ranger drop beams supposedly work, although I believe they're not quite as wide, which will decrease your front track width, and hurt your handling. Let me know if you're interested in the beams and stuff, I'd make you a pretty good deal on them.

-Dan

FYI those only work with a 2wd truck :)
Thats right I forgot about the Ranger beams begint he wrong width for the explorer...

I also forgot to mention track width. Wider = better. Rims and tire selection has alot to do with track width, also some people use wheel spacers, which can be used safely.

thank you for all your advice, danlong how good a deal are we talking about. also do you have pics of your truck with these installed?

Does any one know where to get a good deal on a poly suspension kit?

A steering stabilizer, urethane transmission mount and a solid link on the drivers side engine mount can help with the feel of the truck too. where do i find these?

btw it's a 4dr 2wd 5sp.

urethant trans mount: Autofab or search this site for the Energy suspension part number that can be made to work with your trans.

Solid link = custom fabrication. There is a little shock on some of the 91-94 trucks on teh d side engine mount. A simple solid link to replace this shock is what I am talking about. Doug used to make these for his 4.0L, again you would have to do a search it was some time ago.

POly kits for the entire truck are cheap, again do a search. You can order them online.

Steering stabilizers are made by everyone, James Duff has a nice kit for your truck.

I wanted to lower my 94 4x4 and found that it really isn't an option. With more than a 2" drop the oil pan contacts the front axle. I did as noted and upgraded parts instead. Monroe Reflex all around, helper springs in the rear ($25 at autozone. stiffened up the rear without changing height and made a noticeable improvement). Urethane bushings in swaybars and radius arms. Next step is replacing the worn out front springs and upgrading the rear sway bar (the express sway bar does fit). Ride is greatly improved so far.

I'd sell you both the beams and springs for $350 plus shipping, although I might be able to have my dad drop it off, I'd just have to find out if he's going through Austin at all. I paid $570 shipped for the beams, and $190 shipped for the leaf springs. I think I have a few pics on my computer at home, I'll try and post them later tonight.

:rolleyes: lower a 4x4? :rolleyes:

Here's the only pic I could find with the truck lowered, the tires are 255/55-18's, so they're right at 29" tall, just for reference.
wheels.jpg

my ee sway bars has been the best improvment Ive ever made to a vehicle

Back