• Register Today It's free!

average mpg?

damagexinc

Reaction score
City, State
Melrose Park, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 xlt
Does anyone know what the average mpg a '99 4.0 sohc should be getting?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats going to be all over the map. I am guessing that highway MPG (US Gal) about 18-19. In Canadian Imp Gal we're getting 24-25 MPG Highway.

City, well you don't want to know. These drink gas in slow stop and go traffic and not much point in checking it. Unless of course you go through a half tank while sitting parked with the engine off. Then looking into it is a good idea.

My 97 4.0 getting 17 mixed cty/hwy needs plug change i feel fortunate!

the only reason i ask is because for the last year i've been getting 13 city 18 highway. in the last day, i put 4 gallons in when i was on e because this was a small simple number and drove until i was back to e. with the combination of highway/city driving i got 20. this is after i fixed my intake gaskets and one other vacuum leak. yet i'm still blowing code 1151. figure that out

i've been getting 19 to 22 with my 91 sport. but i put bosch plugs and wires in they made one big difference. you should be doing better.

i do also have LT's on my truck because the guy i bought it from used to tow boats with the truck. he gave it a complete tune up periodically and gave it one right before i bought it. how long should i go in between tune ups because it may need one since i recently fixed all the vacuums

my Son's 99 4.0 Sport gets around 15 City. That pretty much sucks considering my 88 Ram 250 4X4 with a 360 gets around 13.

Blueraven

99 4.0 SOHC ,getting 18 MPG.

Just checked my 2001 yesterday, getting 18.3 mpg combined. So apparently around 18 mpg is pretty average.

hmm. that's actually not bad considering the national average is what like 25 mpg combined? i'm pretty sure all of us can get way better at this if we tried. i've been reading streetrod2000's posts on what he's doing to his truck. its unbelievable that he can get that much better economy AND performance. If he sold his ideas to ford we'd never have to worry about losing our precious v-8's

It all depends on how you drive it. Stop and go city driving, you'll be lucky to average 12. All freeway? 22-24 isn't unheard-of if you keep the speeds down. I do about a 60/40 mix of hwy/city and average 20 (but I drive like an old man on the freeway... 62-65)

i average twenty with a mix of driving like a complete ass and passive driving. im pretty sure if i stayed passive i could reach 25 combined.

99 4.0 SOHC 2 wheel drive with 201,000, getting 18.2 around town. BUT I don't tend to race away from lights and do drive it conservatively.

BH

Back