AWD ---> 4x4 Manual T-Case Swap | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AWD ---> 4x4 Manual T-Case Swap

i got mine for 225 shipped with 50k on it :D

well arent we special:p:

I had like that lined up, then i waited to long and it was sold.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, it was a parts dealer somewhere in Virginia.

I got mine for $200 with 7 miles on it :) then I spent $150 converting it to the correct speedo tail housing, then another $100 for the shifter, boot, fluid, etc

Approx anyway, I am already paying some of that back because now I fill the truck up with gas about 1/2 as much as I did when it was AWD :)

Does it matter what year the BW4406 is since I have the speed sensor on my rear diff? Also, what kind/how much fluid does the 4406 hold? I just put Amsoil ATF in my AWD t-case about 2 months ago... maybe I can drain and reuse...

Man, this project has me psyched!

Nope, doesnt matter. Just needs to be a manual case. I think i filled my case with 2 quarts of atf.

yeah it takes about 2 quarts, DO NOT re-use your Amsoil hahaha

Whats the problem with reusing the Amsoil? It only has about 6500 miles on it. Its super easy to drain...

I just got off the phone with one of my local yards and I couldn't be more disappointed. There are two major yards in my area. One is extremely overpriced and the other doesn't have the volume that many places do... however, they're pretty good and finding what you want if they don't have it. I've never purchased anything from the first yard, but the I've bought a couple items from the second. I had to get a new rear hatch and taillight for my other Explorer a couple years ago... first lot wanted $700 for the hatch without the glass. The second lot let me have the hatch, shocks, and the taillight for $180.

Anyways, I just called the first lot and all they have is a front drive shaft for $75. I called the second lot and the guy obviously has his head up his tail hole. I told him I was going to be doing an AWD to 4x4 conversion on a '98 5.0 Explorer and that I would be needing a BW4406 manual t-case from a '97+ F150 as well as a front driveshaft from a '97+ 4.6/5.4 F150 and a rear drive shaft from an Expedition. He told me to hold on and he laid the phone down. I could hear him in the background talking to a co-worker. He said, "I've got a guy on the phone that is needing some '98 Ford Explorer parts... its got a 302 and he wants to do an AWD to 4x4 transfer case swap." The other guy says, "we don't have any 4x4 transfer cases from any Explorers". So he got back on the phone and said he couldn't help me. I said, "hang on a minute buddy. I don't need any parts FROM a '98 Explorer, I need parts from an F150 and Expedition. None of the parts that I need ever came on an Explorer." I went into further detail with him as he exclaimed that it wouldn't work because I would need new differentials and all kinds of stuff.. I finally told him that I knew of atleast 3 or 4 Explorers that have this conversion and he reluctantly took my phone number and said he would call back if they had any of these parts.

WTF?!

I spent 2 hours walking around the warehouse at my local Ford only yard, a place I have been going to for years where they know me quite well.
You can explain to them what you are looking for over the phone for 7 hours and get no where, or you can give them a list that says exactly what you need, or you can walk around and find it yourself
Trying to explain to them why you want these parts is kind of futile unless they really understand what the hell you are talking about
Its better just to give them a list,
say:

I need manual transfer case from a 97-2001 F-150
I need front driveshaft from 97-01 F-150 or from 97-01 Expedition
I need rear driveshaft from 97-01 expedition 4x4

dont expect the t case to still have the linkage attached, because the linkage mounts to the transmission. You may, like many of us, have to get those parts from the dealer.
I found half the linkage I needed on a transmission on the shelf, they did not mind me having it once I explained to them what it was (again this is a yard where they know me, I am allowed to walk around their lot when others are not allowed back there, probably because I have spent $2K+ there over the years hahaha)
I ordered the shift arm and the shift lever from Ford because no yard had them.

This T case may not be easy to find but they are out there so dont give up with just one phone call, I spent months collecting parts and explaining what parts I need over and over.
Make a list of parts, keep checking the local ad's, craigslist, online suppliers, and best of all junk yards.
I got all the parts I needed from about 6 different sources, including the dealer, a ford only yard that had a t boned expedition for the driveshafts, my buddy had the t case, then I contacted about 20 trans case rebuilders until I finally found one that had a cracked 4406 and was willing to ship me the tailhousing, speed sensor and drive gear I needed.......bottom line = be patient

re-using 2 quarts of used Amsoil in your new T case is a really really really bad idea.
The AWD case has a viscous clutch, the clutch wears out, the contaminates the fluid and heats it up, etc
putting used fluid of any kind into your new t case is just asking for it, just get yourself new fluid for the new case they dont hold much.

I told him I was going to be doing an AWD to 4x4 conversion on a '98 5.0 Explorer

I rarely tell the yard what I am doing, in most cases, they don't really care what you are doing, and if its not going on a stock application, you may not get any warranty. I acted like I was just replacing a T case and asked for specific drive shafts. I found if I give them too much information, they get confused. :confused:

yup. The yard that is local to me are pretty dumb. I told him what i was doing and he said why would you want to convert it from awd to 4wd, then i asked why would you put two 6" smoke stacks on your cummins and hung up. He wante 700 for the case...thieves. Trust me, go to car-parts.com and search for a case online. Shipping is max about 100 bucks.

Just my 2 cents, but you don't have to remove the center console to get to the top two bolts....BUT! It does make it a lot easier to get to them, and it'll also let you get a better look at where you need to cut for the shifter.

remove the seats and the console, without doing this cutting the hole for the shifter would be a real PITA, especially fitting the carpet.
It also is a perfect opp to run the two wires for the dash 4x4 indicator lights
4 bolts per seat, like 4 bolts for the console, its not a huge ordeal for a clean install

I have not tested the MPG and I did not test it before when it was awd, I drive a lifted explorer, MPG is not on top of the list, although I did do this conversion for that reason along with others. It is noticably better, I fill the truck up about half as much it seems, maybe 3-4 mpg gain?
When I install my new IFS with the axle disco I expect to see a little more
The 4x4 rocks, 4 low is just *****in in the 4 door v8

I've groaned and moaned for the last couple of days about whether or not I should keep or sell the X and then my thread is revived and once again I get the bug to mod.

Hmm...

It is noticably better, I fill the truck up about half as much it seems, maybe 3-4 mpg gain?

3-4 MPG is a serious change (20% increase) - I'd be really impressed if it's true!

I'm trying to figure out how long it would take for this mod to pay for itself... If not too long, I'll buy my dad's '98 Mounty and do the swap.

Too bad I hate the torsion bar suspension... that may be enough to push me to a Grand Cherokee or a Tacoma

Would you go with 3.73's or 4.10's for an all around gear with this swap and 32's (MPG, off road, towing being my order of importance) - I ultimately wouldn't be going any bigger than a 285/75R16 or 33x10.50

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3-4 MPG is a serious change (20% increase) - I'd be really impressed if it's true!

I'm trying to figure out how long it would take for this mod to pay for itself... If not too long, I'll buy my dad's '98 Mounty and do the swap.

Too bad I hate the torsion bar suspension... that may be enough to push me to a Grand Cherokee or a Tacoma

Would you go with 3.73's or 4.10's for an all around gear with this swap and 32's (MPG, off road, towing being my order of importance) - I ultimately wouldn't be going any bigger than a 285/75R16 or 33x10.50

Don't forget, you can sell your d shafts and t case to help recover some of the cost as well. I only have ~$250 in my conversion since I sold my front D shaft and transfer case. At that price, It wouldn't take long to pay off.

If you don't like torsion bars, get a RCD coil over lift - its only 4K :D

I really want 4.10's for my 32's and eventually 33's. The power is OK with 3.73, but I really think 410's are going to be an improvement. I believe 410 is getting 4.10's for his truck.

Theoretically speaking highway mileage would be better because of the near effective 3.55 gear ratio with 32's, but my truck only turns 1800 at 60 mph, so it sometimes has to hunt for the right gear.

Back