• Register Today It's free!

AWD/4x4 Switch in Radio Bezel

mlycke

Reaction score
City, State
northport, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
I need to replace the radio bezel on my 2000 Ford Explorer. It is AWD and while it does not have the button which switches 4x4 from Auto/High/Low, there is a wiring harness that plugs into an empty slot in the bezel. If I replaced my bezel with one that has this switch, would I be able to control, between 4x4 Auto/High/Low? Or is it that, because mine is AWD it will have no effect.

I am uncertain about the differences between the AWD and 4x4 models.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Four-wheel-drive means a drive system in which the engine's power is (or can be) transmitted to all four wheels through a two-speed transfer case and drive axles. The transfer case's main function is to provide a gear-reduction feature and the ability to shift the vehicle into 4WD Low range. 4WD Low range is designed for severe conditions such as pulling through heavy snow or mud, or slowly climbing up (or inching down) a backwoods hunting trail. For this reason, 4WD systems offer superior capability off-road and in really sticky situations where an AWD vehicle would very likely get stuck.

All-wheel drive also transmits engine power to all four wheels and will also give the vehicle a better grip on the road in inclement weather than a front-wheel-drive (or rear-wheel-drive only) vehicle. But an AWD-equipped vehicle lacks the two-speed transfer case that is the defining feature of a true 4WD system. This means there is no 4WD Low range for deep snow/mud and uneven terrain. And that means you should keep the vehicle on paved roads, no matter how much it may look like a burly SUV on the outside.

Will not work.

I need to replace the radio bezel on my 2000 Ford Explorer. It is AWD and while it does not have the button which switches 4x4 from Auto/High/Low, there is a wiring harness that plugs into an empty slot in the bezel. If I replaced my bezel with one that has this switch, would I be able to control, between 4x4 Auto/High/Low? Or is it that, because mine is AWD it will have no effect.

I am uncertain about the differences between the AWD and 4x4 models.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

i think Ford just uses the same wiring harness on all its variants. my 2wd's have this plug. adding the switch won't do anything. if you need a new bezel (w/out the switch) i have one.

The harness is generic, for all models.
The AWD is 'on' all the time, there is nothing connected on the other end of the cable either, it is just dangling around.

Thank you all for your replies. I figured as much, but it just seemed strange to me for the harness to be there.

Back