catkinson

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ford Explorer
Help!

97 Explorer XLT

My radio bezel falls out and I have to hold it in when I am driving down the road. I tried duct tape, but this is Florida and it gets too hot. So now, I not only have a radio bezel that falls out, but also I have to get "goo gone" to get the tape residue off the dash.

If I get a new bezel and replace it, will this fix the problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Assuming you're talking about the OE radio surround and not an after market radio adaptor, the radio bezel is held in place by 4 metal clips and 2 screws. Are the clips or their posts broken off? are the 2 screws on the bottom of the bezel missing? You're not going to find a NEW bezel, but there are usually quite a few good used ones for sale on eBay. Typically they run around $35-$60. Be sure to find one that has the same switches as your old one. They are available I black, silver and wood grain.

Example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/95-04-FORD-...00|Model:Explorer&hash=item1c55ac857a&vxp=mtr

The 4 metal clips and 2 screw holes are clearly visible in the photos.

The upper right tab (passenger side) on my radio bezel also broke off. A new bezel will not help if the tab on the dash has broken. When I re-fitted a new blend door I was able to get up there through the glove box opening (with glove box removed) and loop a small zip tie to the bezel clip and pull it tight. I couldn't figure any other way of fixing it if I still wanted to get it off in the future for some reason. If you know you will NEVER EVER need to pull it off, you could always run a bead of gorilla glue or epoxy around the inside edge, tape it up till the glue sets, and call it a day.

The upper right tab (passenger side) on my radio bezel also broke off. A new bezel will not help if the tab on the dash has broken. When I re-fitted a new blend door I was able to get up there through the glove box opening (with glove box removed) and loop a small zip tie to the bezel clip and pull it tight. I couldn't figure any other way of fixing it if I still wanted to get it off in the future for some reason. If you know you will NEVER EVER need to pull it off, you could always run a bead of gorilla glue or epoxy around the inside edge, tape it up till the glue sets, and call it a day.

Never say never Duane.

Thanks for the Info.

Hi All!

I looked closer at the Bezel and the bezel is broken, not the dash. So I followed your link and ordered the bezel from ebay. I have also lined up a place to get it replaced.

Thanks again for your help.:D

Hi All!

I looked closer at the Bezel and the bezel is broken, not the dash. So I followed your link and ordered the bezel from ebay. I have also lined up a place to get it replaced.

Thanks again for your help.:D

It's pretty easy to replace the bezel yourself, but that's your call.

Back