• Register Today It's free!

AWD 5.0, Back Tires Spinning Out

OLDJIMMYBONES

Reaction score
City, State
LI, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
I have a 98 XLT with a 5.0 and All Wheel Drive, Every time the tranny shifts gears my back tires spinn-out and if im going about 30-50 and i give it a lot of gas they'll spinn out too, Some times it does it for a sceond or two, but latly its been happening for like 5+ seconds, its wearing my tires out quickly.

And there deff spinning out because i leave little rubber spots (skid spots) all over my street.

Why Would this happen? The tires back there are not even close to aggressive but i cant imagine thats why.

Also winters comming and this will not be good for the snow

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried pressing the gas a slight bit less? ;):rolleyes:

urm, well when i say a lot of gas im not slamming it to the floor im prob at about 40-50% if its max, and it does it regardless when shifting gears

if i stomp the gas thel spin out for like 10 secs

thats really weird, I'll read up on it a bit and see what I can find.

CURRENTLY, the only think I can think of is to take a look at your transfer case.

i tryed looking but couldnt find anything, but maby ull have better luck, thanks

Do you have different size tires in the back/front? It can 'confuse' the AWD system. If not, another thing to look at would be the AWD system itself.

So you can spin the rear tires for 10 seconds?

I cant even do that in 2wd, unless I powerbraked it. heck, I'm over 1/8 mile in 9 seconds. --:confused:

in any event-
I think your transfer case is toast-

My guess would be the torque converter malfunctioning along with the transfer case not working properly. How do the shifts feel otherwise? What does it feel like when normally accelerating from a stop?

Dan

So you can spin the rear tires for 10 seconds?

I cant even do that in 2wd, unless I powerbraked it. heck, I'm over 1/8 mile in 9 seconds. --:confused:

in any event-
I think your transfer case is toast-

really? whats somthing like that cost?

My guess would be the torque converter malfunctioning along with the transfer case not working properly. How do the shifts feel otherwise? What does it feel like when normally accelerating from a stop?

Dan

it shifts prity smooth, and recently i feel it accelerates from a stop a little slowly, but maby nothing i been switching between the explorer and my civic so that may be throughing off my judgement

ehh transfer case new? your looking at 500+ bucks. IF thats the problem.

If that is the culpret for sure though, try a rebuild. If that fails, Try to get a new TC motor, I had to replace mine, thats about $80-$90

i had a 18inch sub in he back that with the box weighed like 300lbs and its been doing it ever since i took it out, also i cut the air intake and poped a k&n cone filter on but idk if that would have anything to do wit it

If that is the culpret for sure though, try a rebuild. If that fails, Try to get a new TC motor, I had to replace mine, thats about $80-$90

dam, that with an install?

the AWD transfer case is not electronically controlled, there is no motor. have you checked the fluid level? is there a leak? changing the transfer case is not that hard of a job compared to engine or transmission. you can usually find a used one for a decent price.

There is no shift motor on the awd transfer case.

Check bt93's thread on the rebuild

OH, Gavin did one also. Look for his thread too.

the AWD transfer case is not electronically controlled, there is no motor. have you checked the fluid level? is there a leak? changing the transfer case is not that hard of a job compared to engine or transmission. you can usually find a used one for a decent price.

the transfur case fluid level? urm where would that be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

take a look at the awd transfer case rebuild threads on the site, one of them shows pictures of where the fill and drain plugs are. i think its a sticky on the trans/diff forum

Back