• Register Today It's free!

AWD converted to 2wd

Travis8916

Reaction score
City, State
HARTSVILLE SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt 5.0
I'm wanting to know what all I would have to do to make my 98 5.0 awd converted to 2wd. All the does and don't and maybes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm wanting to know what all I would have to do to make my 98 5.0 awd converted to 2wd. All the does and don't and maybes
@Travis8916
Is something malfunctioning? Why would you want to do this? Ford's AWD design is one of their better systems. If you insis t:

Remove the front driveshaft (easiest, quickest, least desirable)
Remove front-drive components from transfercase.
Remove transfercase altogether (requires 2WD extension housing for transmission, possible driveshaft change)

Were it mine, if busted, I'd fix it. imp

to do a full AWD delete and go strictly RWD you would have to remove the 4wd transmission and replace it with a RWD transmission

Better option:
fix the awd
or
convert to a 4406 manual transfer case

There's nothing wrong with it I just don't want AWD I would rather a 2wd 5.0 might have a little of a heavy foot. And right now I'm just figuring out what I would have to do to switch it to 2wd.

to do a full AWD delete and go strictly RWD you would have to remove the 4wd transmission and replace it with a RWD transmission

Better option:
fix the awd
or
convert to a 4406 manual transfer case
What trans would I need? Because I can just delete the whole AWD system and it not be a pain then that's what I want to do.

Question for @410Fortune is this truck eligible for the brown wire mod

What trans would I need? Because I can just delete the whole AWD system and it not be a pain then that's what I want to do.
A crown vic trans. That is exactly what is in a RWD ex.

There is no brown wire on a Ford AWD transfer case, no shift motor, nothing to electrically modify. imp

If I'm not mistaken I think the brown wire mod is for explorers that have awd/4x4 that's what I seen in video i think for a 02 or 03. I just have AWD but could be wrong if it will work

you need a rwd version of the 4r70w

I have two of them downstairs

You need one from a 98 or newer so it matches your trucks solenoid wiring and digital range sensor

There is no crown vic in 1998 and all other fords after 96 use the 4.6, so should get your trans from a 98-01 Explorer 5.0 RWD
4.2L V6 F150 from 98-2004 would work, the 4.2 has same bellhousing as 5.0

The RWD 4r70w
If you are handy you can use any 4r70w that came behind the 5.0 or 4.2 and possibly the 3.8L mustang/cougar and upgrade the solenoids and dtrs to the ones from your 98....but now we are getting ahead of ourselves...... and the early 4r70w (93-96) had issues

So stay with the 4r70w

You need one from a 98 or newer so it matches your trucks solenoid wiring and digital range sensor

There is no crown vic in 1998 and all other fords after 96 use the 4.6, so should get your trans from a 98-01 Explorer 5.0 RWD

The RWD 4r70w
If you are handy you can use any 4r70w that came behind the 5.0 or 4.2 and possibly the 3.8L mustang/cougar and upgrade the solenoids and dtrs to the ones from your 98....but now we are getting ahead of ourselves...... and the early 4r70w (93-96) had issues

So stay with the 4r70w above 97

The RWD 4r70w

How you want for one?

The ones I have are high miles and will be rebuilt before I use them. The reason I have them is I plan to build 5.0 RWD Rangers
I could sell one of them that works fine, it has 215K miles on it and the truck was wrecked pretty good in the front, it is a 98 Explorer
I would be like $400 + Shipping

I'm not going to try to convince you not to do this, or ask you why you would want to. I assume you have you reasons. Personally I was glad to get rid of my AWD vehicle. I never wanted AWD to begin with.

Do not remove the the front CV axles. You can cut them, but if you delete them the front wheel bearing assemblies can come apart and your wheels fall off. The CV axles have a large nut that gets torque to somewhere around 180-200 Ft lbs. The nut and axle hold the bearings assemblies together. You could switch to 2WD front spindles and loose all the AWD parts (CV axles, front diff assembly, driveshaft and t-case. Then you'd just need to adapt the transmission tail shaft parts and I would assume rear driveshaft would need to be a different length. A 2WD donor vehicle would be helpful for this swap.

I'm not going to try to convince you not to do this, or ask you why you would want to. I assume you have you reasons. Personally I was glad to get rid of my AWD vehicle. I never wanted AWD to begin with.

Do not remove the the front CV axles. You can cut them, but if you delete them the front wheel bearing assemblies can come apart and your wheels fall off. The CV axles have a large nut that gets torque to somewhere around 180-200 Ft lbs. The nut and axle hold the bearings assemblies together. You could switch to 2WD front spindles and loose all the AWD parts (CV axles, front diff assembly, driveshaft and t-case. Then you'd just need to adapt the transmission tail shaft parts and I would assume rear driveshaft would need to be a different length. A 2WD donor vehicle would be helpful for this swap.
That's what I'm more than likely going to do.

Hold up. All stop.

I removed the front driveshaft from my AWD last week (for repair). Two things happened:

1) The truck was able to roll in park (search, there is a thread on this) and

2) When I started the truck and tried to move it, the t-case made a god awful grinding sound. I immediately shifted back to park.

I put the front shaft back in, and all was well.

To do this, I don’t think removing the shaft or cutting the CV axles is the way forward. I don’t think swapping the entire tranny is, either. What about simply doing a transfer case swap to a non-AWD t-case? Much easier than doing the whole trans. Then you can pull the front components without consequence.

Hold up. All stop.

I removed the front driveshaft from my AWD last week (for repair). Two things happened:

1) The truck was able to roll in park (search, there is a thread on this) and

2) When I started the truck and tried to move it, the t-case made a god awful grinding sound. I immediately shifted back to park.

I put the front shaft back in, and all was well.

To do this, I don’t think removing the shaft or cutting the CV axles is the way forward. I don’t think swapping the entire tranny is, either. What about simply doing a transfer case swap to a non-AWD t-case? Much easier than doing the whole trans. Then you can pull the front components without consequence.
What kind of tcase?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What kind of tcase?

Some years of F150 are good donors for the t-case. I believe '97 for sure, maybe '98. I briefly looked into this myself. You'll also need a shift lever and to cut a hole in your tunnel for it. Seems like there's another part or two that's pretty hard to find, but this is about the best route.

I did take my front driveshaft out of my '98 5.0 as the CV was bad and had one hell of a vibration. If parked on an incline, it will gradually roll down. Use the park brake or keep a brick handy..hillbilly hint.

I'd do the t-case swap. I plan to on mine.

Mine's gonna be a project for me and the oldest for his first vehicle. body off, frame paint, engine rebuild, manual t case, etc etc.

Back