• Register Today It's free!

AWD 4R70W to 2wd 4R70W

J_Train

Reaction score
City, State
Citrus Springs, Florida and LaGrange, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt v8
Has anyone converted their AWD Transmission to 2wd. I have done it on my 4R55E but the workshop manual isn't as detailed to make it out if its just the output shaft and tail housing or if there may be more. Asking cause there's a really nice 00 v8 explorer I'd like to pick up but the AWD is trashed and doesn't work. and going by what I did to my 4R55E going from 2wd to 4wd it was cheaper then buying another trans.

Edit: I did do a search and went through 6 pages and found nothing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's my understanding on the 4R70W the tailshaft is shorter for a AWD than 2WD

yes that is true, I'm just not sure what else may be needed to convert it over other then the output shaft and tailshaft housing

@J_Train "AWD Transmission to 2wd", "what I did to my 4R55E going from 2wd to 4wd"

I'm confused. Which way do you intend to go? IMO, the easiest way for AWD to 2WD would be to yank out the front driveshaft, and live with the "creep" when parked on hills; just use the parking brake always. If you want a true 2WD, the entire front suspension would have to be re-done, the Transfer Case dispensed with, the driveshaft length issue addressed, and finally, the issues with the PCM being confused by signals/lack of signals from things removed. Probably would need to go with a 2WD PCM to avoid messy CELs. imp

yes and no. there will still be all the extra parasitic drivetrain load which in turn will not help with the gas mileage also as I stated above the AWD is trashed, something wrong with the transfer case. As for the front end I will not need to change anything. I'll just need to pull the outer part of the cv and put it back in the hub and tighten it down.

On an AWD, there's no wiring going to the transfer case, it's not like a SOHC with a 4WD switch. As for your front end, if memory serves, the drive shafts bolt on, I'd just drop the driveshaft and leave your front end alone and set the parking brake always

Output shaft and tail housing is all you need along with driveshaft. Of course you have to tear the trans down to swap output shafts.

On an AWD, there's no wiring going to the transfer case, it's not like a SOHC with a 4WD switch. As for your front end, if memory serves, the drive shafts bolt on, I'd just drop the driveshaft and leave your front end alone and set the parking brake always

correct, but the AWD transfer case will always spin as its always locked in 35 % front and 65% rear, but my problem is that its toast. I don't feel like putting another transfer case in it.

Output shaft and tail housing is all you need along with driveshaft. Of course you have to tear the trans down to swap output shafts.

That's what I'm thinking just wasn't sure.

Nevermind, a buddy of mine had one come in totaled with only 68097 miles on it so I swapped transfer cases.

Back